Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Temp Gauge on Dome, messed up.

Options
AuburnTiger
AuburnTiger Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my temp gauge is stuck on around 80-90 degrees? How in the heck do you get it back down to 0?

I replaced my new bottom part of the egg and I took the gauge off for cleaning to calibrate it in boiling water. After that I cook on it last night bringing the temp up around 300 and i checked this morning putting the cover over it and its stuck at that 80-90 degree mark. I have no clue what to do and while that cooking temp was at 300 and felt like it im guessing it wasnt at around 210-220 right?

Any help appreciated, I dont like this at all.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Is it currently 0* where you are, or is it 80-90* where you are?

Calibrate the thermo in boiling water if you are concerned, but my guess is it is reading exactly what it should.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Uhhh, what's the ambient temp. where the egg's located. My guess would be somewhere between 80 and 90 degrees.
  • AuburnTiger
    Options
    Its just never read that high even where I live which is close to that temperature. Its in the shade but even in direct sunlight it never was that high. Just thought something may be off more than just the temperature outside. Guess im wrong and it could be just that and nothing wrong.
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    "Blonde"Tiger....just joking. Seriously I almost asked the same question at the Dealer.....ALMOST!
    Now your grid temp and your dome temp (where thermometer is located) will not be the same...usually about 20-30 degrees hotter at dome. Longer cooks will even out the differences.
    Hope this helps.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    When you figure out how to get it down to 0, let me know. I can keep beer in it when not in use!! :silly:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Mine reads about 80-90 in the summer, and about 40-50 in the winter, here in Atlanta.

Sorry Tiger, couldnt resist.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    War Eagle
    My dome temp at 4PM is 105. My Lge is on my deck under a BGE cover. I'm on Lake Martin. Just calibrated mine so I know its a good read.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al
    B)

Opelika, Alabama
  • Unknown
    Options
    You like your beer frozen? :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    This post/topic still makes me laugh every time I see it. Its like a good word problem in school. If Tom's grill reads 0* on a winter day in New York and Bill's egg reads 100* on a hot day in Atlanta, what is the difference in thermal expansion on Egg A....
    Sorry, I could just imagine a test question throwing all kinds of useless info at you, when the answer is right there.