Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tile or wood

Options
NUman
NUman Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not really a cooking question here but wanted some opinions. My wife and I are building a new house and can't decide if we should put hardwood or tile flooring in our kitchen & dining room. It's an open area so it would be the same flooring throughout. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Have quite a bit of both of them. Tile clean easily and wear well and can be natural (travertine) or man-made. Wood has a deep richness that nothing else can match. It does experience shrinking and swelling and needs to breath. We had strip wood flooring installed and sanded and finished in place. More expensive but I think makes a big difference in appearance.

I would place wood where you are trying to create a measure of elegance and tile in high travel or wet locations.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    All of our downstairs is hardwood including the kitchen and we love it.We had it put down about 7 years ago and it still looks great.
    Larry
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have both (tile in Florida & wood in Ga) I prefer wood...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i prefer wood over tile. been thinking of putting cork in the bathroom though to see how it stands up. tile in my house would be cold come winter, my basement is usually around 42 degrees in the winter which would make the tile feel really cold on the first floor. my neighbors house is all bamboo, i would use tile before that, its got no real character as a flooring. 2 thirds of my house is natural fir, shades of yellows and oranges similar to cedar
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YB
    Options
    I love the wood also but my wife has covered most of the wood with Persian rugs.
    Larry
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    I prefer wood in the kitchen especially - while both are hard surfaces, the tile seems to make standing around for a long time harder on the back and knees....of course, the current; home hsa tile! ARGH!
  • YB
    Options
    We just finshed a building here and put cork in the lobby and it really looks good.I will let you know how it holds up with alot of traffic.
    Larry
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You'll prefer the wood in my opinion.

My house is wood throughout except bedrooms and bathrooms. Baths are tile, beds are carpeted. Everything else up and down is hardwood - sanded and stained post install. They are absolutely beautiful and durable.
  • NUman
    Options
    Darn. I was leaning towards tile and hoping I would get some positive views of it but it looks like wood is the pick of the forum.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    We put tile in our kitchen and Brazilian cherry wood on our connecting family room. From my experience, the grout gets really dirty in the kitchen and take a lot of "elbow grease" to clean (just did it yesterday as a matter of fact).

The hardwood floors are absolutely pretty and elegant and have become very rich over time. The only thing I have against hardwood is the dust it collects, and I'm talking on a daily basis. But, nothing a Swifter can't handle.

Another thing about hardwood is getting the real thing. Especially where you spend most of your time and where the traffic might seem to be heavier. Laminate is good, but when wearing hard heeled (sp?) shoes, the floors can get loud from all the click-clack.
    But this just my opinion.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    do you have a dog?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NUman
    Options
    Yes, we have a 60 pound goldendoodle.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    is that really a dog. :whistle: you can always put tile in the traffic areas like entry, infront of the stove etc. ive seen it done where it looks great. even under the dinning table so the chairs dont scratch the wooden floor
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    cork holds up very well, actually. needs sealing/waxing though, if i remember correctly. though thy may offer it pre-finished now.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ive heard it holds up really well, even dogs sliding around on it. just cant get it thru my head that its durable. i think being softer it may be more comfortable for my back in the mornings. if it holds up in the bathroom it may replace the blue indoor outdoor carpeting thats in the kitchen, woman just seem to love that carpet though LOL
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    i remember watching a show were it was the flooring in an old castle, looked good and it was really old
    fukahwee maine

• ChitownBBQ
    ChitownBBQ Posts: 72
    Options
    Our hardwood floor guy has a fit if someone wants to put wood in a kitchen. Even the best stuff doesn't wear as well with the spills & grease of a kitchen.

We just finished a major remodel and the dining room is basically open to the kitchen (7'+ opening) and the real 'divider' is the tile from the kitchen (radiant-heat porcelein) bordering the oak in the dining room.

Just my $0.02
  • YB
    Options
    This is really pretty and will have hundreds of people a day walk through the lobby.I am off next week but I will take some pictures when I return.
    Larry
  • YB
    Options
    I don't think anything has been put on this floor yet.
    Larry
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    just last night I read an older "This Old House" magazine on this very same question. The answer was regardless of the wood and finish being applied as pre-finished in the factory or upon installation the dogs nails will scratch the wood and refinishing will be a maintenance issue you need to weigh in your decision.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    this cork floor is 60 years or so old and in great shape. they give tours thru the thing daily...

http://www.spnea.org/visit/tour/house.asp?floor=1&floororder=1
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • NUman
    Options
    Yes it's part golden retriever and part standard poodle. Kind of a newer breed but it's the best dog I've ever had. She doesn't shed and is very smart.
  • Marlin Darlin
    Options
    WOOD! Wood is easy to care for, even in the kitchen. Just make sure to wipe up spills right away. We bought a second home with tile floors through-out and after a week my feet and legs were killing me. Need shoes with arch supports just to get out of bed. If you drop a plate or glass on a wood floor there is a chance it might not break. Not a chance of that with tile. Also, you need to sweep or vac every day. Go with the wood. Janet
  • Marlin Darlin
    Options
    You will have scratches but, until you are ready to sell the house, just concider it a nice patina!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'd worry about staining the wood with spills, so my inclination would be tile.

Whatever you do, I'd stay away from natural limestone. We put that in, thinking how nice it looks (and it does), but it does not hold up well under traffic.

kitchendone4.jpg
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    Brad, when you gonna paint the celing?
  • Unknown
    Options
    We have had wood for the last 20 years and are going to change to tile. Especially in the kitchen. Yes, I know that tile is hard and cold and unforgiving. But with the dog, wifes high heels and the occasional runaway ice cube that must be hunted down before it can melt, wood is not that forgiving, and needs to be refinished every few years. Large tiles with small grout joints is in my future.
    Just two more cents worth. Good luck what ever you choose.
    al