Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wal-mart Brisket, worth trying???

Options
BillHill
BillHill Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My large egg is two weeks young now. I've done St. Louey ribs three time, whole chicken four, filet, scallops, shrimp,salmon, and a Boston Butt once. All these things have lived up to all the hype being cooked on the egg. I'm ready to do a brisket. Is the brisket at walmart worth buying or not? I know the steak wasn't awhile back, but I think they've switched suppliers for that, have'nt tried it since. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Personally, if it's the Smithfield brand or any other that's been injected with a water/saline solution, I'd pass on it. Butt that's just my humble opinion....
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    be careful. it might be 'select' grade. brisket is difficult (for me) to get right as it is, let alone with a lesser grade.

try for 'choice' if you can. ...and of course, 'prime' if you can get it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    In most cases i would figure that the "choice" grade brisket you get at walmart is the same as the "choice" grade brisket at Sam's.
    Same company and probably from the same supplier. i have done briskets from both in the past and they turned out OK.
    Good luck on your first and be patient, remember that practice makes perfect.........

DSC_9758.jpg
    DSC_9764.jpg
  • BillHill
    Options
    Thanks, opinions are what i want. I did notice the Butts there were smithfield and i passed. Bought that at Publix. Walmart is the only chain type store i've seen briskets at, it wasn't Smithfield though, it had no name on it, just some english and spanish writting.? I'll ask the meat uy at publix if they carry them.
  • BillHill
    Options
    Thanks, pics look good. I was watching some bbq challenge show recently and saw lots of people using meat from Sams. I figured same stuff was being sold at Wally world...Patience are no problem, cooked my first butt, four pounder, at dome temp 240-275ish for nine hours, not once opening the lid. Rested it in foil and towels for an hour or so, she fell apart and was very YUMMY :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I bought my last brisket at Wal-Mart (even though I despise the place) the price was right at $1.29/lb.

I could not find a grade stamp or indication on it anywhere believe it or not. It was cryovac and there was some ink on there, but it was smudged and illegible. I cooked it up anyway and it turned out to be one of the best briskets I have ever done.
  • Smokin' In Tally
    Options
    In my experience meat purchased at Sam's has been very good, including their brisket. It's all choice grade.

Everything that I've found at Wal Mart is select grade which isn't as good. I don't think that Sam's and Wal Mart sell the same grade or quality of meat.

Sam's, Costco or Publix all have good quality choice grade beef. I'd avoid Wal Mart unless budget dictates buying there.

By patience, I believe that the prior poster was referreing to the fact that your first brisket or two may not be up to your standards. It seems to take a while to get cooking this cut down.

My first brisket was average at best. The second was great and up to BGE standards.

Good luck!
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Options
    I like to get my brisket and butts from a local (not chain)supermarket with a butcher. The cost per pound usually equates to pennies on your purchase and the butcher trims the fat cap like I like it and the butts are single packaged and cleaned up. I have no problem with Sam's, Costco etc. I just like to get the butchers input on the cut.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi Rod,

You are braver than me to step in a Wal Mart. The thought of a Wal Mart contracted feedlot & meat-packing plant is making me shiver. Wal Mart would have to pay me $1.29 for each of my pounds for the effort of walking around their store.

I just paid 4.99/lb for a 8lb Hereford brisket from Fresh Market. I do know it is a quality cut and have had great luck in the past - albeit 4x the price. For me the quality is worth the extra money as I don't want to waste my time on an overnight cook...

Hope my brisket is as good and I'm not proven wrong!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    How do you know that the beef you bought at Fresh Market is any better or worse than that available at Wal-Mart?

How do you know that the cattle are raised in a different lot or slaughtered in a different packing plant?

I buy almost everything from my local butcher, but I will not pay $4 or $5 a pound for brisket, and that is what they normally charge.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    You may be right.

Just don't like Wal-mart.

Cheers
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I spoke with the Walmart person who was stocking the meat shelves about 6 mos ago, and asked him if those briskets were choice or not. He said they almost never get choice for most of their beef. So if you don't mind select briskets, I'm sure the price is fight..