Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

misc. egg pics from Canon Rebel XTi

Options
WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently replaced my Canon Rebel G body with a Canon Rebel XTi (digital) SLR. I have been shooting a lot of photos and they all came out pretty good. So I have lots of egg-related photos and decided to share a few of my favorites tonight. I had to scale the resolution down from 10+ megapixel to fit on the forum and load fast but I left a few high-res photos in for comparison and just cropped them so you could see how much detail the camera captures. Some of the photos are not perfectly focused because I was shooting from 6' away due to the conversion factor of my EF lenses but they still came out ok.

New ornament for the back of my egg table:
back04.jpg

Stuff that I keep under my table:
tableaccessories1.jpg
tableaccessories2.jpg

ABTs made from jalapeno, spiced ground sirloin, hot pepper cheese, and bacon, then smoked with mesquite chips:
poppers01.jpg
poppers05.jpg
poppers06.jpg

Salmon covered with Old Bay rub and smoked with alder chips:
salmon2.jpg

Cropped high-res of the salmon:
salmon2highres.jpg

Shrimp drizzled with EVOO and Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy:
shrimp06.jpg

Cropped high-res of the shrimp:
shrimp06highres.jpg

NY Strip processed with the Reveo Marivac, rubbed lightly with KC Masterpiece BBQ dust, then T-rexed:
steak01.jpg
steak03.jpg

Cropped high-res of the steak:
steak01highres.jpg

Comments

• FearlessGrill
    Options
    Nice pics. We have a Nikon DSLR on the way - just ordered it this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Like your egg setup too.

-John
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    I had considered getting the Nikon but my Canon Rebel G was always great and I had so many lenses, filters, etc. which would work on the Rebel XTi that I just couldn't think of a reason to switch. Post some pics here from your Nikon after you get it. I am interested to see how they look.

My egg table was covered in detail here and here.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Very nice pics. You adjusted into that camera body pretty quick. We are gonna expect that kind of quality from now on. :whistle:
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    Nice pics! I love my XTi, but wouldn't you know that no sooner than I purchased it they came out with an upgrade. :ohmy:

Cheers,
    Braddog
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    I had considered getting the newest XSi body but I couldn't justify the price difference of $300 just to get a little more resolution and not many other benefits. 10+ megapixel is plenty for my needs and some of the reviews I read actually preferred the XTi to the newer model. That's the thing about electronics: you only have the latest and greatest for a short time...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    an interesting take on why color/contrast/etc. are far more important than megapixel-count

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Interesting article Stike, thanks for sharing.

I agree with some of his points, although megapixel count does matter quite a bit under certain circumstances. For me it makes a huge difference when I need to significantly crop a photo or zoom far in while still having a lot of fine detail in the final image. It also matters when I shoot a photo with a less than ideal lens, such as the shrimp picture that you see above which was shot with a 35-80 EF lens that has an quivalent 56-128 zoom range when used on my XTi body. I took the shrimp pic from about 6' away and just cropped it to make the closeup photo yet I was still able to get a photo that looked like macro photograpy and both photos are still clear and sharp. If I tried this with my old 2 megapixel camera, the standard image wouldn't have been nearly as sharp when viewed full screen on a decent monitor, and the extreme closeup would have been blurred and grainy.

So if you are going to print 4x6 photos or look at the full unedited photos from a distance then megapixel count will not be as important, however it matters a great deal when you do enlargements, cropping, and are shooting with less than ideal lenses. There is a reason that the professional photographers all use the high-end digital SLRs, and some purists still won't use anything but standard film. Just my $0.02 worth.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    For a relative newcomer to photography, I thought Ken's site was a great resource, and recommend it to anyone looking to learn more about digital photography that goes beyond point and shoot. I found Ken's site when selecting our new DSLR, and went with his recommendation of the Nikon D40. We're not likely to use all the advanced features of a more expensive camera, and though this is a 6.1 MP model, that should be plenty for anything we want to do, and certainly will be a huge improvement over our old 2MP Canon ELPH. Your point on enlargements is a good one - I could see how the extra MP would be useful there.

For anyone who is interested, Costco was running a fantastic deal on this camera last weekend - $599 for the body, two lenses including a vibration reducing 200mm zoom lens, and a 2GB memory card. This combo was $799 at Ritz and Amazon.

-John
  • ProPhotoGA
    ProPhotoGA Posts: 24
    Options
    Wow... a golden egg!... Nice images.. as a Pro
    Photographer I use a couple of Canon 5D's and a 1DS Mk
    III. Love em... but my knock around cam is a simple
    little A700IS point and shoot. 6mp is MORE than enough
    for web and snap shots... I print enough in the 30X40
    off of the pro level bodies.

Enjoy your Rebel... it is a great little camera.. a
    nice addition to go along with that "Golden" Egg!

Gene
  • ProPhotoGA
    Options
    Wow... a golden egg!... Nice images.. as a Pro
    Photographer I use a couple of Canon 5D's and a 1DS Mk
    III. Love em... but my knock around cam is a simple
    little A700IS point and shoot. 6mp is MORE than enough
    for web and snap shots... I print enough in the 30X40
    off of the pro level bodies.

Enjoy your Rebel... it is a great little camera.. a
    nice addition to go along with that "Golden" Egg!

Gene
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Thanks for the note Gene. The painted egg turned out better than I planned. It looks great in my table and has held up well.

Since you are a pro then maybe you can help me with lens selection for mt XTi. I currently have Canon EF lenses, one 35-80 and one 75-300, both autofocus models which work pretty well. On the XTi these lenses have an effective range of 56-128 and 120-480 which is great for outdoor work but I lost the 35-50 range for indoor shots. Ideally I want a lens for indoor and macro use that can also zoom out to at least 80 but I am willing to give up zoom for good indoor, macro, and low light results. Occasionally I could use a small fisheye effect but this is less important.

So I looked at the EF-S lenses but they are pretty pricey right now, especially for something with a decent zoom range and IS and/or USM. Is there an alternative to replacing my EF with EF-S? I looked into the screw-on filters which provide a wide angle or macro effect but they seem to get poor reviews. Maybe you know of a good single lens in the 28-60 range with IS or USM?
  • ProPhotoGA
    Options
    WileE, unfortunately there is little in the Canon line
    that matches that range other in the EF-S lens line
    which is designed for the APS size sensor of the
    Rebel. With that said, the EF-S 17-55mm IS is not bad
    and only about $500... now I say only because my
    16-35mm EF-L USM lens was over $1600 when I bought it.
    My favorite on the camera carry around travel lens in
    the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, this is about $400 at
    bhphotovideo.com. I keep this on a 20D and the images
    are always top notch. It is the one lens I recommend
    to my friends. Unfortunately it is not an EF-S lens so
    you would have to multiply by 1.6 which makes it a
    44.8-216mm equivalent.

Hope that helps.

Gene
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Good info Gene, thanks!

I like the idea of getting the EF-S 17-55mm IS lens but $500 is a bit steep considering that I picked up the XTi body with a few small accessories and shipping included for only $535. Also, this would be a great indoor lens but not very useful outdoors so I would have to switch lenses too often which is not only a hassle but it increases the risk of getting dirt in the body and/or damaging the lenses.

I guess my ideal lens would be an EF-S 17-80 or at least 28-80 with IS and USM for under $400. I would give up the USM if needed but like the idea of IS since I typically shoot in low light when indoors. I even looked at some non-Canon lenses but there don't seem to be many good choices out there right now. Perhaps the market will open up and prices will come down in a bit.

Canon needs to remember that most people who spend $500 for a body aren't going to be comfortable spending a few thousand on lenses. If you are going to spend thousands then you might as well get the whole hog... :S
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    he does point out that a 2 megapixel camera doesn't really count for much, that's true. his point though is that more than the count, it's the quality of the color gamut, contrast, etc. that makes the biggest difference.

digital still has a loooong way to go to approach regular film for resolution.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ProPhotoGA
    Options
    WileE,

You are right... most will not spend that kind of
    money on lenses. Unfortunately the camera is only as
    good as the lens. This is why Canon's G9 point and
    shoot is such an outstanding camera. 12.1MP , great
    lens with IS, shoots in Raw and jpg, and it fits in an
    underwater housing(optional $150 all for less than
    $500. This is actually more camera than the average
    user needs but is a fantastic deal, no lens changing
    and outstanding images. I have one that I use for
    diving and I have enlarged prints to 30X40 with it.

But back to your lens.. as I stated above,
    unfortunately there are no lenses in that range or
    price that are very good. Unfortunate but a reality
    of modern cameras.

Gene