Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Allen Brother\'s Steaks

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As previously reported, my son bought me some prime top sirloin steaks from Allen Bros. Basically, $60 for four 8-oz steaks. I used some olive oil, salt and pepper and then Trex'd them. They were pretty good, but I don't think I'd try them again for that price. Three of them were squares of meat cut from a much larger piece. The wife (yes, the wife who...) thought the texture was bland (her word). The square shape sort of put her off, too, I think. I thought the texture was fine. The fourth was obviously cut from the end of the muscle and it was much thicker than the other three. (Grumble) But it was the best piece. It was over 1.5 inches thick while the others were struggling to make 1 inch. So all in all, it was an ok experience. Good flavor and pretty tender for top sirloin, but just not good enough to justify $60 (plus about $20 shipping).

Now I wonder if Allen Brothers would like me to review some of their Wagyu beef, LOL!

P.S. The big block of dry ice that came in the package was a lot of fun to play with. Something else to consider. :laugh:
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    You can always see the bright side even if it is a chunk of ice. :laugh: Kudo's to your son for trying thats the most important part.
    Happy Fathers Day
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I'd call and complain....seriously.
  • jamiemeyer
    jamiemeyer Posts: 97
    Options
    For that price, I would expect them to the best you have tasted.
    Time for customer comments back to Allen Bros.!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I am sure his heart was into the thought. Next time he wins the lottery along with Spring Chicken, step up a notch or two.

http://www.lobels.com/?NG_urlID=39210515
  • Fidel
    Options
    Or you could go www.peterluger.com

Prime beef is everywhere, and overpriced nearly everywhere.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. For the price your son paid you and your wife should be raving about the steaks. Not saying they were just pretty good. I would call and also write a letter stating you were disappointed not only in the flavor but also the fact that they were not cut to equal size. As grillers, we all know the size of the cut has a lot to do with how te steaks are cooked and that directly impacts flavor. It is very difficult to cook steaks that are under an inch at high temps without over cooking them. If you went to a Ruth Chris, Mortons or Wolenski and schmidt, even Outback Steak houses I would be willing to bet that all of their steaks of the same cut are cut to the same thickness or else they could cook them consistently.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    except here. dry-aged 45 days, prime. 19.99 a pound my friend.

http://www.themeathouse.com/

holycow.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Allen Brothers is the real deal. They ship real high end steaks at big time prices. I actually sent the same steaks to my sister for her birthday and she said they were the best steaks she's ever had. Everything is relevant though, I would bet you eat more good steaks than she does.
    But the reality is those are the cheapest steaks in their catalog and there is no cut of sirloin that weighs in at 8oz so it has to be a cut piece. Have you ever tried to divide a whole top sirloin into serving pieces? It's pretty much impossible to make them all look the same.

FYI I recently had the opportunity to cook a long bone dry aged prime 32oz ribeye that they sell for $82 on the egg and it was unreal. It was a freebie but I will buy those in the future. It blew the client away. [img size=150][/img]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Yeah, I knew that they don't make cows with 8 oz sirloins, lol. And like I said, this was from my impoverished college student son, so he did look for the cheapest thing they had. (I snuck some money back into his checking account when he wasn't looking, lol.) I am probably too cheap to appreciate the really expensive stuff. The photos in their catalog of the wagyu cuts look absolutely unbelievable. Almost like they were manufactured under computer control to assure totally even marbeling. But the prices do take one's breath away. I am thinking about getting the long bone ribeyes for the wife (yes, the wife who....) for some special occasion. I wish you could buy just one. Oh there goes the cheapskate in me again, LOL!
    The Naked Whiz
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I've bought and Egged steaks from a local steak house that gets rave reviews "The Pine Club". They will ship too btw. They were really really good. I like the steaks from Sams Club better than most grocery store meat too. Those Pine Club Steaks were better but it was pretty close.

We've got some prime steaks from a the local lah te dah grocer and I have to say hands down it was the best steak I've ever cooked.

Special is nice on the occasion.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I said "nearly"

Bargains abound if one knows where to shop.

I usually buy prime grade primals and cut them myself. But I have that luxury being in a large metro area with two butcher shops that stock such things.
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Wow! I might be able to swing the hot dogs (six for 12.98) on that site - anyone want to split a pack? :laugh:
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    The prices really are insane, but it is the top of the food chain.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ