Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

My First Pizza

Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen many beautiful pizzas on the forum, and after salivating for months, I finally bought a pizza stone last week.

I started simple - classic and simple sauce from canned diced tomatoes, a little onion, garlic and herbs + fresh mozzerella from Central Market, a little EVOO and oregano for finish. I baked it at 550 to keep the crust from getting too crisp (the kids don't like it black - ARGHH!)

BUT, for a first try - it turned out great! Thanks for all the inspiration!

June044.jpg

Comments

• Good looking pizza what type of cheese?
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Be careful - pizza on the egg is an addictive habit! I do it at least once a week now after I waited years to try my first one.

Did you place the stone directly on the platesetter? If so, I get better results if I have an air buffer between the stone and setter. I use extra green feet, but aluminum foil balls will work too.

I have actually begun using a pizza screen and really like how the pies are turning out. It lets a little air get between the crust and the stone. Once it is set I slide it off the screen and directly onto the stone to finish. Saves having to cut parchment paper and making the pies is much easier on the screen.
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    I cut slices of fresh mozzerella made at the grocery I shop, Central Market

Chef in the Making wrote:
    Good looking pizza what type of cheese?
  • cigarstockcigarstock Posts: 60
    I am glad you posted this as my family (I) will ber trying our first tonight. First though I will do the wings (Georgia Red WIngs in the BGE cookbook) for appetizer. Father's day will be junk food day. Thanks for sharing. I hope mine will turn out.
  • Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Here's one I did last night, not my first but I almost lost it. 700+ for 10 mins. Normally it would have been OK but it was slightly to big for the stone. Whn I peeked through the top all hell was breaking loose.

A bit singed but still a very good pizza.
    SingedPizza.jpg
    My kids moved away years ago so no complaints.
  • UnConundrumUnConundrum Posts: 536
    I have several recipes for pizza cooked on the egg. Check out www.recipesonrails.

502-pizza.png

501-pizza-dough.png

511-honey-mustard-chicken-pizza.png

592-neopolitan-pizza.png
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I just found your website a couple weeks ago, it is really great! -RP
    Thanks. It's been fun building it, and I've make virtually everything there....but it's a PIA for other people to figure out how to post there... We're going to have to rework that some day when I have nothing else to do ;)
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    If I'm doing 14" pizzas, I go with the plate setter legs up with the main grid and grid extender and put the stone on that. I like my cheese to brown slightly without burning the crust. -RP
    My system is similar to RP, but I put the plate setter feet down, then the normal rack, and then the pizza stone, as pictured below:

912-neopolitan-pizza.jpg
  • 02Roush202Roush2 Posts: 119
    Fidel wrote:
    Be careful - pizza on the egg is an addictive habit! I do it at least once a week now after I waited years to try my first one.

Did you place the stone directly on the platesetter? If so, I get better results if I have an air buffer between the stone and setter. I use extra green feet, but aluminum foil balls will work too.

I have actually begun using a pizza screen and really like how the pies are turning out. It lets a little air get between the crust and the stone. Once it is set I slide it off the screen and directly onto the stone to finish. Saves having to cut parchment paper and making the pies is much easier on the screen.

Hey Rod, I am gonna cook my first pizza on the BGE this evening and wanted to see where you found a pizza screen. I am not familiar with them. I'll probably run up by the Mall of GA this afternoon and pick up a pizza stone for the BGE. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Fidel wrote:

Hey Rod, I am gonna cook my first pizza on the BGE this evening and wanted to see where you found a pizza screen. I am not familiar with them. I'll probably run up by the Mall of GA this afternoon and pick up a pizza stone for the BGE. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Fidel wrote: