Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Pizza

Options
Austin Smoker
Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen many beautiful pizzas on the forum, and after salivating for months, I finally bought a pizza stone last week.

I started simple - classic and simple sauce from canned diced tomatoes, a little onion, garlic and herbs + fresh mozzerella from Central Market, a little EVOO and oregano for finish. I baked it at 550 to keep the crust from getting too crisp (the kids don't like it black - ARGHH!)

BUT, for a first try - it turned out great! Thanks for all the inspiration!

June044.jpg

Comments

• Chef in the Making
    Options
    Good looking pizza what type of cheese?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Be careful - pizza on the egg is an addictive habit! I do it at least once a week now after I waited years to try my first one.

Did you place the stone directly on the platesetter? If so, I get better results if I have an air buffer between the stone and setter. I use extra green feet, but aluminum foil balls will work too.

I have actually begun using a pizza screen and really like how the pies are turning out. It lets a little air get between the crust and the stone. Once it is set I slide it off the screen and directly onto the stone to finish. Saves having to cut parchment paper and making the pies is much easier on the screen.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    I cut slices of fresh mozzerella made at the grocery I shop, Central Market

Chef in the Making wrote:
    Good looking pizza what type of cheese?
  • cigarstock
    cigarstock Posts: 61
    Options
    I am glad you posted this as my family (I) will ber trying our first tonight. First though I will do the wings (Georgia Red WIngs in the BGE cookbook) for appetizer. Father's day will be junk food day. Thanks for sharing. I hope mine will turn out.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Here's one I did last night, not my first but I almost lost it. 700+ for 10 mins. Normally it would have been OK but it was slightly to big for the stone. Whn I peeked through the top all hell was breaking loose.

A bit singed but still a very good pizza.
    SingedPizza.jpg
    My kids moved away years ago so no complaints.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    I have several recipes for pizza cooked on the egg. Check out www.recipesonrails.

502-pizza.png

501-pizza-dough.png

511-honey-mustard-chicken-pizza.png

592-neopolitan-pizza.png
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I just found your website a couple weeks ago, it is really great! -RP
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    Thanks. It's been fun building it, and I've make virtually everything there....but it's a PIA for other people to figure out how to post there... We're going to have to rework that some day when I have nothing else to do ;)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    If I'm doing 14" pizzas, I go with the plate setter legs up with the main grid and grid extender and put the stone on that. I like my cheese to brown slightly without burning the crust. -RP
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    My system is similar to RP, but I put the plate setter feet down, then the normal rack, and then the pizza stone, as pictured below:

912-neopolitan-pizza.jpg
  • 02Roush2
    02Roush2 Posts: 119
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    Be careful - pizza on the egg is an addictive habit! I do it at least once a week now after I waited years to try my first one.

Did you place the stone directly on the platesetter? If so, I get better results if I have an air buffer between the stone and setter. I use extra green feet, but aluminum foil balls will work too.

I have actually begun using a pizza screen and really like how the pies are turning out. It lets a little air get between the crust and the stone. Once it is set I slide it off the screen and directly onto the stone to finish. Saves having to cut parchment paper and making the pies is much easier on the screen.

Hey Rod, I am gonna cook my first pizza on the BGE this evening and wanted to see where you found a pizza screen. I am not familiar with them. I'll probably run up by the Mall of GA this afternoon and pick up a pizza stone for the BGE. Thanks in advance for any info.
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    Fidel wrote:

Hey Rod, I am gonna cook my first pizza on the BGE this evening and wanted to see where you found a pizza screen. I am not familiar with them. I'll probably run up by the Mall of GA this afternoon and pick up a pizza stone for the BGE. Thanks in advance for any info.
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    Fidel wrote: