Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

slow-smoked pork ham???

Options
greeneggsandham
greeneggsandham Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
anyone ever slow-smoked a ham? i'm aiming for pulled pork, carolina style. i know it's not the ideal cut, but i bought a whole pig last fall and i'm running out. 150 pounds of pork only goes so far - i'm raising two of my own this year.

any pointers would be appreciated.

g.e.h.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    The ham from the hind leg? If so, it won't work not enough fat and connective tissue. Lo 'n' slo will dry it out something awful. Treat the ham as you would any roast.
  • Hot Stuff
    Hot Stuff Posts: 82
    Options
    several of my favorite bar-b-que restaurants around north georgia use "fresh hams" rather than butts......these places have been in business for many, many years and have great bar-b-que......there doesn't seem to be as much fat in the meat, but it does have a little different texture than a butt.....the Fresh Air Bar-B-que in Jackson, Ga is one of the oldest and the best.....the Old Brick Pitt in Chamblee, Ga (Atlanta) is good also.....i would think it would be a long, long, burn but should be worth it.
  • greeneggsandham
    Options
    too late now, the bun is in the oven. i've got it at 200 and i'm aiming for 14-16 hours. it's one hell of a hunk of meat - 13 pounds on the bathroom scale. and judging from the rest of this pig that we've already put away, lean isn't going to be a problem.