Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you making for Father's Day

Options
C Alan C
C Alan C Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, so I'm new to the forum but pretty experienced on the Egg. My wife asked me what I wanted to do for my first father's day and after much thought told her I wanted to slow cook some meat.

I've decided to try a coffee rubbed brisket. I don't have a rub recipe for the rub so I am going to shoot from the hip starting with turkish ground espresso.

What are other father's going to cook on Sunday?

Comments

• BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    Probably start with some grilled Romaine Lettuce with homemade Blue Cheese dressing then some Chili Lime Shrimp and Tuna Steaks. Hmmm. Thanks for making me think about it. I can not wait until Sunday!

Bob
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I'm going to try my first spatchcock chicken on the Small. I'm still deliberating about what rub to use. Sides will be black beans with garlic and cumin and Dr. BBQ's Creamy Coleslaw. Desert will be whatever looks good when we go to the Mexican bakery on Saturday.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I've only had my egg about 6 weeks and have been trying to keep a varity going. I will probably go with a turkey breast and maybe some dressing on the egg.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • C Alan C
    C Alan C Posts: 2
    Options
    grilled romaine. How interesting. I assume you work hot and fast to avoid wilting?
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Hmmm, I'm sure I'll catch h*ll for this, but I'm making reservations, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    I hear he always works hot and fast....

...sorry, couldn't help myself....

Jon
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Welcome to the forum C Alan...here is a bit of a 'guide' for Romaine, but you can use your imagination and change it how you like..if you havent tried this, it's a MUST! :woohoo:
    I split a head of romaine in half and shed the loose outer leaves. Wash and dry thoroughly. Then I drizzle with EVOO, hit it with some salt, fresh cracked pepper, and a dash of raging river rub.

I grill it direct for about 2-3 minutes, cut side down, then flip it and cook the other side for another 1-2 minutes. I pull it and let it rest and cool. The best time to do this is during the rest phase of a TRex - I get good results at 400-425*.

To serve I mix up a balsamic vinaigrette with evoo, balsamic, garlic, salt, and brown sugar. Drizzle the dressing over the romaine and hit it again with a grind or two of fresh pepper. I have been experimenting with cheeses, and I can't decide if I like fresh shaved parmesan-reggiano, blue, or feta the best. They are all very good and a different.

Another thing I have done is added some grilled onion. Thick slice an onion, brush with oil, and then grill for a couple minutes a side until slightly charred and beginning to turn translucent. This will add a nice sweet contrast with the blue cheese and balsamic.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Pulled pork and Mad Max turkey here. Then a marathon card game with my mom and dad - that's what they like.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    I'm making them work....for a change... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    nahhhhhh you'll only catch it if you say the steak was great! :evil:

Actually I enjoy eating out just fine. Even at a steak house.

Ribs however I never like out.....and rarely do I like bbq out. I'm kinda fond of Smithfields though...especially their Brunswick Stew. Can't wait till I hit NC this summer.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I've got two monster butts in the fridge to go on Saturday night for lunch on Sunday after church.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude, but why should *I* be making anything on Father's Day.

I plan on sitting my fat ass in my recliner and watch the world drift by..

.o0(Wonder if I should tell them about all the leftovers from the competition I will have)
  • BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    Yeah, Brush with olive oil, a little sea salt and coarse Pepper. Grill it hot for about 1 minute.

Bob