Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any tips for a london broil? (or should I bother?)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning to smoke a brisket, a large chicken, and a london broil tomorrow. Now, I've never smoked a london broil before, but I'm only doing so because several family members I'm having over are very health conscience and they prefer leaner cuts of meat. So with that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should smoke a london broil? Or, is smoking such a lean cut of meat not worth it and will only lead to dry, un-flavorful meat? I assume I should follow the same smoking rules with brisket (I usually smoke my briskets at 200-210, for 2 hours per pound.) But, since london broil is a lean cut of meat, perhaps I should marinate it in some sort of dressing tonight, then rub it a bit tomorrow?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Heck, if y'all don't think smoking london broil is worth it, maybe I'll take it back and switch it out for another brisket instead (I'll just tell a little white lie tomorrow or something...)

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Cook it like a big steak....I trex mine for about 1-2 minutes per side at 550-600 degrees...then take it off and let it rest..lower the temp to 375 and cook for 5 minutes per side...take it off at 125-130 internal temp for med rare...

DO NOT DO A LOW & SLOW...it will dry it out....
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i agree with Kim low and slow london broil sounds like shoe leather to me.
    bill
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Smother it in bacon to keep it moist -- Your family members will appreciate it!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Grill-Gal
    Grill-Gal Posts: 17
    Options
    Yeah. Here's my tip. Cook flank steak instead. I just have no use for this cut.
  • jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    Options
    I marinate over night in Itaian dressing then wipe off and put a steak rub on it an hour or so before cooking. Cook at 350* for about 1/2 to 3/4 hr. depending on size. They turn out great.
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Do they like rare/raw meat? If so, you might try a Carpaccio of Beef. That's what I made last night, it's a good dish in the heat. I got a cheap bottom sirlon roast (so a london broil would even be better), seasoned with olive oil, rosmary, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Sear on both sides, or all sides if you prefer, and put in the freezer for 30 min. Meanwhile, on a platter make a bed of lettuce, red onion, radish, tomato (watch for salmonella - if you look real hard you can see them swimming around...)whatever other veggies you like, put in the fridge. Get the meat out after 30 mins, slice paper thin across the grain - use a slicer if you have one, I did not use mine because it is such a pain in the ass to clean, but I wish I had now! Cover your platter of veggies with the meat, sprinkle with olive oil and balsamic and parmesean cheese adn enjoy cold! I forgot to take any pictures last night but it sure was tasty! One tip - the meat needs to be as thin as possible - the slicer is the way to go. (That's as good excuse as any to go buy one if you don't already have one!)

Jon
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    that is it !!!!!!!!! Fathers day dinner for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thanks for the suggestion. will be served on a big hunk of roasted red pepper on a bed of lettuce couple of capers and maybe some olives
    thanks i have been thinking all day about what i want to egg on sunday.
    i will take pics
    bill