Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are the must have (nice to have) eggcessories

Options
authentic
authentic Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
and why/what purpose do they serve?? I've got some cash to burn and i wanna know what is truly useful and for what...

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Remote thermometer....over cooked (or undercooked) ain't good.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    what do you have now besides the egg?? and what do you like to cook and for how many??
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Thermapen is a must. -RP
  • authentic
    Options
    been gettin by with just a plate setter and a charcoal lighter since april. i usually cook for anywhere between 5-15 people depending on what im cooking, and i cook some of everything, ribs, chicken, steak, fish/shrimp, burgers, brats and butts...
  • Smokin-AJ's
    Options
    THE STOKER and BBQ GURU!
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Here's a site with a few items that are pretty popular

http://www.qnstuff.com/blog/
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i adree with AZRP!!!!

also nice to have

http://www.lawnrangerbbq.com/handle_detail.htm
    it feels better opening your egg!!! B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Are you cooking on a mini or an XL?Or is it something in between? :whistle: :silly:I can cook for that many on my XL just fine,but would need some eggsesories to do it on my medium.Just wondering :silly: BTW,you can send that cash to me.Mine seems to have gone somewhere else :pinch: :whistle: :woohoo:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    CI grate...not just for steaks..better grill marks and more even cooking imho...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    the list will depend on how far you want to go or how much you want to spend.

AZRP, hit the nail on the head - Thermapen
    Mavrick ET-73 dual remote thermometer
    Adjustable Rig & Spider
    Powered Vent system: DigiQ2 or Stoker
    Second Egg

There is more but that should be a good start.

GG
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    azrp is right . first thing is the thermopen. i watched a competition cook, who has been on tv, at a fest and bought my egg. he said to buy a thermopen. he was right. it has made me a better cook eggin or inside.
    next a cast iron grate

e9190682.jpg

you can do a lot with 2 grates and some fire brick to double your cooking area.

maverick et-73 to keep track of temps from a distance.

happy eggin
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ wrote:
    Here's a site with a few items that are pretty popular

http://www.qnstuff.com/blog/

Thanks for the link as it provides quick links to many of the eggcessories mentioned throughout the forum. I made sure to add it to my BGE favourites.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    That is a factor of your menu, frequency of cooking and personal income. The choice is a subject open to VERY wide differences in opinion as you clearly see here.

1. For BASIC grilling (steaks, hamburgers, etc. you only need your egg, period.
    2. To move to indirect cooking you can improvise OR since you say you have money burning a hole in your pocket you can get a plate setter.
    3. IF you cook pizza you need some methog of indirect cooking (see#2) and a pizza stone
    4. If you do what the gang calls low and slow, it probably means you are cooking butts, tips and ribs or large cooks and that moves you into the multi-layer grid systems.
    5. When you get into cooks that require temperature monitoring you need to look into a meat thermometer first and decide if you want a point in time or a continuous monitoring design AND if you want to monitor remote.
    6 On top of that, you need to determine if you can live with the BGE standard thermometer for cooking temperature monitoring and those opinions will get you a book thick set of responses on this forum.
    7. You then have the option of cast iron grids versus standard, accessories for food types like beer butt chicken racks, woks, grilling pans, sauce pans, ABT holders, Rib racks, Skewers, skewer racks, custom tools, the list is endless.
    8. On the higher end you can get into dual temperature monitoring with fans that monitor and control your cooking temperature and monitoring the meat temperature...
    9. Tables...where do I start and finallly...
    10. Digital camera for forum photos or your cookbook when you go pro and want to be published.

I'm sure I haven't even touched the surface...it's really a personal choice.

You get the picture...go to the store and throw some cash at the register and get back and cook something up for us to see on the forum...Enjoy.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I think you want to learn to control temp manually before getting a guru. Like riding a bicycle before a motorcycle.
  • authentic
    Options
    doug-123 wrote:
    Are you cooking on a mini or an XL?Or is it something in between? :whistle: :silly:I can cook for that many on my XL just fine,but would need some eggsesories to do it on my medium.Just wondering :silly: BTW,you can send that cash to me.Mine seems to have gone somewhere else :pinch: :whistle: :woohoo:

i've got the large. a ci grate is a great idea for as much as i cook steaks, didnt think of that.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    My newest friend is the cast grid for the small. It makes some great steaks.
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    New to the forum and a new egg owner as of two weeks ago, so I just wanted to thank the OP for this thread as it will certainly help me as well. A lot of great stuff here, I just hope to contribute as much as I've learned so far.

Just one question: Is it necessary to have both the Thermapen and the Maverick ET-73? I feel like I'm missing something here, considering that the Thermapen runs close to $100. The Maverick is half of that price, and will give you a continuous temperature reading without having to open the dome of the Egg (which could cause a spike in the dome temperature, no?).
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I am in the same boat Vincent. I have the ET-73. I use it for everything, low/slow cooks as well as fast cooks(chicken, etc). I am having a hard time justifying the $100 thermapen purchase, but it does seem that it would be easier, quicker, and maybe more accurate for a quick reading, whereas the ET-73 may be best suited for monitoring slow cooks remotely.