Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finished my Rutland

Options
pplkook
pplkook Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All

I finished my Rutland last Sunday. The instructions on the Whiz site are great. I followed them closely - here are my lessons learned.

1. Use the black paint stripper, works very quickly and keeps the surface a bit rough for adhesion
2. Pre-scrunch the gasket, it makes thing much easier
3. FOLLOW the Whiz instructions regarding laying only out 6 inches of cement at a time, it dries quick.
4. I used an old hair comb to "float" out the cement
5. Spend the time to kneed the cement
6. I used my high quality shears that I use to cut fiberglass for surfboards. Still tough to make a good cut. PRACTICE on the ends of the gasket before you start installing.
7. Taping it out is a good idea, I only had 5 inches left when done

I bought two of the Rutland kits, so I decided to do my ceramic cap since it was kind of wobbly. That wasn't too bad at all, and fits so nice and snug!

Here are pictures
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm102/pplkook/cleanedegg.jpg
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm102/pplkook/rutlandonegg.jpg
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm102/pplkook/rutlandontop.jpg

-pplkook

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    If I were you I'd remove that gasket from the rain cap pronto! That is NOT a safe place to have applied it. And yes I'm the same RRP
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pplkook
    Options
    Why? Is due to deterioration of the gasket falling back into the grill when no food is on it?

-pplkook
  • jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    Options
    Just curious, what is the reason to not doing the rain cap?
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Same reason you shouldn't use a Rutland gasket anywhere on your EGG. Even the folks at Rutland who sell it have said it is not safe for use on the grill and they wish that everyone would stop doing it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Both BGE and Rutland clearly say do not use Rutland gasket material on an egg due to health reasons.

For specifics:

See Bobby-Q's post below

Or Contact Rutland (google it).

There are a lot of eggers that swear by the Rutland.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Bobby-Q,

Thanks for posting that information.

GG
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    And, the reason being.........???
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    holy cr^p. where have you been. even I know about it.
    hahaha

friable fibers in your food anyone?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    Use either the new Nomex from BGE (preferred) or Cotronics (which has a favorable MSDS for using around food, and is easily applied with hi-temp silicone sealant). I have installed Cotronics on 3 LBGE's before Nomex was available.

Mike Tripp
    (fieroguy)
  • pplkook
    Options
    sorry all to bring up this whole thing again. Admins feel free to delete this thread.

My egg being new, I believe had the nomex gasket, and it still cooked to a crisp. I am sure it was my fault in some way (did the dollar bill test and all, but my egg dome and bottom aren't perfect mates), and I looked for the best possible solution.

Sorry to kick the dead horse, done and off to do some cooking.

-pplkook
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Yeah, I knew about that.....I just wanted to hear what Bobby had to say :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    From what others are saying no new eggs have Nomex intstalled.

I just received a replacement dome for my medium and it has the felt installed on it.

If your gasket looked white and from BGE that is Nomex, if gray felt, it is the old gasket.

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    and they call ME the trouble maker?!?!?! :whistle:

hhahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Rutland manufactures a product for the fireplace industry, not the food industry. From a product liability standpoint, unless they want to test for safety standards in the food industry, which I doubt, the easiest route for them to take is to deny that their products should be used in food applications. I've been breathing fiberglass for the last 35 years, so take your own guess as what's going to get you. I've probably breathed more fiberglass than you could get from a thousand Rutland gaskets. -RP
  • pplkook
    Options
    Since my old gasket was gray - I guess I had felt - go figure with a new egg (and the place I bough it from MOVES volume).
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    >I've been breathing fiberglass for the last 35 years, so take your own guess as what's going to get you. I've probably breathed more fiberglass than you could get from a thousand Rutland gaskets.

So that explains the way you are, huh? ;-)