Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp control

Options
GreenEgger
GreenEgger Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, I'm a newbie with a BGE and just getting a handle on everything and wasn't really sure about one thing...

When cooking at higher temps (say 600 or more) and then needing to bring it down pretty significantly lower (maybe 400 or less), what is the best way to do so quickly? I haven't tried anything like that yet and have been sticking to some lower temp cooks to start out, but wasn't sure how tough or easy that was to pull off.

Thanks in advance!
Brian

Comments

• mattk330
    mattk330 Posts: 74
    Options
    I have the same question! Glad you asked. If I sear a fat steak at 600+, how do I finish it off? If you shut down your egg it takes 30+ minutes to come down to 400.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it should get fairly quickly down to 400 unless it has been at 600 for a long time.

when you start up, the fire should be burning clean and ready to go when you initially hit sears temps. searing at 90 seconds a side then shutting vents will bring you down quick.

if you need to start the grill and prep food, or hang out, don't take it to 700. park it at 400. then open vents when it's time to sear. sear, then shut down.

you can always go reverse. roast at lower temps 250-400, then sear at the end
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    You both have good questions for newbies. You'll learn.

First, you are describing the Trex method of cooking steaks. You can find web pages describing it. Basically, don't try to hold the egg at the hight temp for very long so the cermic won't get heat soaked. Take the steaks out after the sear and cover them with foil while the temp comes down...time to enjoy something to drink (I like a glass of wine). It takes about 20 min; to cool so you can finish it off.

Second, about the charcoal, The Naked Whiz maintains a thorough database of charcoal characteristics:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Read and enjoy. Actually read everything on his page to really get a tremendous amount of ceramic cooking knowledge.

Enjoy and many happy meals to you.

HH
  • eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    after i do my 90 seconds of searing on each side, i take the meat off, wrap it in foil, and shut the bottom vent to about 1/2" and the top barely open.

it takes about 6 minutes to get the temp down to 400.
    it seems to be though, that its the perfect amount of time for the meat to rest.

once it gets back down to 400, i leave it in the foil, and put the top side of the foil face down on the grill for about 5 minutes. then i take the meat out of the foil and finish it on the grill.
    it eliminates that grey ring around the outside.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    Having to lower the temp. to finish your cook is one reason many are using the reverse sear or the hot tub method of cooking steaks. Reverse sear also reduces the risk of the dreaded flashback because you will not have to open your egg after you shut down your vents.
    If you decide to do sear first, Stike is right, don’t let your egg get to a high temp. for a long period before starting your cook. To accomplish this try searing closer to the fire then finish the roast portion of the cook on a raised grid. Good luck. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.