Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how do you light your egg?

eafo
eafo Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i used the BGE starters i got when i bought the egg, then i found some cheap versions of them that were like a giant match. but now im looking for something more permanent.
im thinking an electric starter. id love to be able to crumple up a piece of paper to get it started, but not sure if that will work so i turn to you, the eggsperts.

Comments

• you need to get the electric starter for the BGE. You don't need to use anything else NOT EVEN PAPER. Just stick in in the egg, poor some lump over it, plug it up, let it stay in there for 5 minutes. pull it out and you will be ready to go.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Many folks put some olive oil on a paper towel and put it on the lump....works great! Just give the towel a twist. B)
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    I used a crumpled sheet of newspaper for the first year. Now I use the little white Weber starter cubes.
    Paul
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    A small Mapp torch is probably the best and fastest way to light an egg. You can start numerous spots within seconds and the egg eill come up to heat in a shorter amount of time.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Have you seen this? I've been doing the mapp torch thing but I'm tired of having sparks spitting at me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZUrtaEb-U
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    viz:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

...and because i like to screw around with it, i lay some lump across, giving the flame a circuitous path out. with fresh lump and a clean egg, i'm at 750 in fifteen minutes. try not to use extra virgin olive oil... $$$

lat thing. don't dunk or soak the paper. the paper isn't there to carry the oil, it's more that you want just enough oil to make the paper translucent. it will light quickly with no ash. an accelerant of sorts.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    I started out using the BGE starters. Lately I've been using a "chimney." I put a few handfulls of small lump in the chimney, a few sheets of news paper on the bottom of the chimney, light it and stand it up in the egg. In just a few minutes the coals in the chimney are going full tilt and then I dump them on top of the lump I've prepared in the Egg.
  • Maciek
    Maciek Posts: 54
    I use either a chimney I light with newspaper in a different charcoal grill so that the newspaper ash is not in the egg or an electric charcoal starter.

FYI, I got my electric charcoal starter about a month ago at Lowe's for $10. A much better deal than the $25 for the BGE one.

Both work well. Since I purchased the electric deal, I've only used the chimney for starting low and slows so that the coals can be distributed in numerous places.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I use an electric starter. I feel it's safer since I have kids. I wish I had a mapp torch, but realisticly, it would be over kill. The electric starter works great, I just fill the lump up half way, and then lay in the E.S. and pour lump onto the element. Plug it and it goes to town! HTH
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Weed burner. But watch for sparks and popping lump. Wear eye protection and gloves, unlike in this photo. This is about 50% power.

BurnerONSmall.jpg
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    I bought the parafin fire starters in the camping section of Walmart for $1.50. I break one in half, light the end and put the unlit end down in the lump. I'm normally up to temp in 10-15 minutes.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I agree with the comments on using the MAPP Tourch.

I upgraded that with the purchase of the "Golf Club" from BBQ Guru. I like it, because I get the benefit of the hot fire from MAPP, but it eliminates the sparks.

It is also nice, because you push it down in the lump and walk away, while getting a piece of wood for smoke etc.
  • ST1SSDV
    ST1SSDV Posts: 33
    Wal-Mart carries Rutland fire starter squares in the home imnprovement section. $1.82. The box is different color than the green ones, but is exactly the same size and has the same number of starters.. 24 per box. Made in the USA. Some Wal-Marts still have Royal Oak lump charcoal in stock. 10 lb bag for $5.27. Rumor is that the differences between the RO lump and the BGE lump are the color of the bag and the price.
    The 10 lb bags are also a little easier to handle.
    Royal Oak's headquarters is about 20 miles from the BGE home nest.
  • I use a weedburner. It's quick, fun and it annoys the hell out of the wife. What more could you ask for?
  • eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    i was looking at the weed burner, but like some other posters, i have very young kids who are enamored with the egg so id like to keep it as safe as possible. im going to try to the paper towel/oil mix a few times, if that doesnt work i'll get an electric starter i think.

looking to save some $ anywhere i can, since the wife has already decided she wants a large or extra large to add to our medium. shes not happy that we cant prepare a main dish and a side dish at the same time.

thanks for all the advice, and keep it coming!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Interesting Rascal,

Yet another way to light the egg. One needs to be careful with this method.

I have lost a few shirts with sparks from using mapp.

I still like the flame thrower, but I am going to give this a try.

Thanks for posting.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    70chevelle,

With the weed burner like you see in Rod's picture the egg can be at 400° in less than 20 seconds.

In the cold winter that is all I use.
    GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Wal-Mart out here is does not have nor will order the RO this year. Very sad indeed.

GG
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    70chevelle,

With the weed burner like you see in Rod's picture the egg can be at 400° in less than 20 seconds.

In the cold winter that is all I use.
    GG

Sure looks like fun! But, why do I need an egg if I can just cook with my weed burner?! Talk about a sear grill! :laugh:

Seriously, I like the looks of the golf club, and for the price, it seems like the way to go. I haven't had any trouble getting my egg lit, except the one time I needed to clean the ash pit.
  • Rascal
    Well, after watchng both videos, I can't imagine it being any easier, assuming you exercise the proper precautions. But then again, a MAPP torch or a weed burner could be big trouble in the wrong hands! The guy in the pharmacy gave me a strange look when I asked for a 60ml syringe but I've got a marinating kit that will work for now. K-Mart had 90% isopropyl, but at twice the mentioned price at W/M. Good luck with it and post some feedback! 8 - )
  • ST1SSDV
    My 2 closest locals are out and told me the same thing.. they have stopped ordering for the year. There was a full pallet at the 3rd one a couple of days ago. I first started seeing it in February.
  • ST1SSDV
    My 2 closest locals are out and told me the same thing.. they have stopped ordering for the year. There was a full pallet at the 3rd one a couple of days ago. I first started seeing it in February.
  • Grandpas Grub
    I always wondered about using the club. I like the way the flame is spread out more and burried a little into the lump.

Let us know how you like it once you try it out.

In the winter -10° or less it is nice to get the egg to temp QUICK...

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    I do keep my mapp in the outdoor closet and the weed burner (flame thrower) is always unattached.

When the grandkids are over the burner is put away.

Alcohol fires are dangerous. As you say, be careful.

I am going to try the Alcohol today.

Did you find a bottle stopper, if so where?

GG
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I've used an electric starter for years and, except when the silly GFCI pops due to rain, it's worked without a hitch.
  • Grandpas Grub
    I checked with the manager, they looked up the sku I had from last years purchase. There was no inventory in 3 different distribution centers and no store in their system had any Royal Oak (under that sku number).

I purchased 300 to 400 pounds last year.

The sku I used was 16800 22842
    (full number 0 16800 22812 4)

If you have or do purchase any this year please post the sku number. It is possible there is a different sku #.

I have physically lookied in 7 different walmarts and could not find any.

GG
  • Rascal
    Not yet, but most hardware venues have all kinds of things in a zillion, little drawers that will probably hold the answer. If not, a shaved down cork from a wine bottle might work. My meat marinating syringe has a 4" needle so for now, I'll be able to use it to extract enough isopropyl from the bottle without making a mess...
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    If memory serves, RO had a fire, so supply is probably limited or non existant to anyone.
  • Grandpas Grub
    That's a good idea, my marinating syringe is the same.

GG