Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken....WOW!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I decided to try the famous spatchcock chicken on my new BGE. I followed the instructions from the Naked Whiz with the exception that I didn't turn it.[p]She went on direct @375 on a raised grill. Nothing but garlic salt, and lemon pepper. With the polder plugged into the breast I pulled her off at 165 internal.[p]Total cooking time: 1 hour.[p]Man, that was the best chicken I've had in my 41 years. Wow. I say "was" the best chicken because it was all gone in about 20 minutes. Very juicy breast and thighs, and the skin had a beautiful dark brown crispy texture. Bang![p]I'm thinking this BGE thing is gonna be a long term relationship.

Comments

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    Galoot,
    i have to agree i used to not grill too much chicken but with the spatched method it is one of our favorites juicy and tender every time

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Galoot,
    Glad you had a good cook. One thing. If you think that I turn the bird during cooking, you must have looked at my old website. I deleted the website, but geocities still keeps it out there. Here is the pointer to my new website which contains the latest recipe where I don't flip the bird. [p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's REAL website[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, thanks for the updated link. Do you spray your grill with anything prior? I did have a dickens of a time prying the bird from the grate (as if she didn't want to get eaten!)[p]Thanks for the great site!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Galoot,
    No, I have a porcelain grid, and I just put the bird on it skin side up. I don't know, but it may help to make sure that the grid is hot before you put the bird on. The traditional advice on pans is hot pan, cold oil.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Galoot,
    Rub that little lady with a bit of olive oil and you will not have any problem removing her from the grill. I agree, chicken cooked this way is superb. It is our favorite and we NEVER have leftovers!!!

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Is there a desired temperature for a spatchcocked chicken?