Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hinge Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everybody,
I've got a question about the spring assisted hinge. The upper band on the Egg's lid is not properly lined up in the groove in the lid itself.
It seems to me that this is just a matter of loosening the bands and repositioning the lid, however I'm worried about the tension on the spring getting away from me.
Do any of you have the sprng assisted hinge? Anybody try adjusting it?
Thanks very much.
Ribs tonight!

Comments

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Galoot,
    Yes, I have the new hinge, but have not yet installed it. I'm still debating how I want to modify my table to accomodate the hinge. Mine, and all of those I saw at my dealer's store, have a small metal band connecting the upper and lower hinge bands together on the back of the dome right in front of the hinge. This small band must be removed or loosened and turned aside before the dome can be opened, but the warning tag that comes on the hinge says that it should be left in place in the event that the hinge needs to be removed. I hope that you still have this on yours. Otherwise, when you loosen the bolts on the hinge bands, the springs will cause you some problems. Unfortunately, if this retaining band and the bolts that hold it have been removed (I don't really see how they could have been), the only way to replace it is to remove the hinge. Good luck.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Galoot,
    I am using the spring assist band..and as long as you have the dome closed you will be fine to loosen the bolts and re-align things, the weight of the dome will keep it from going any where. I would only loosen as little as needed to make the adjustments...HTH[p]Wess