Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Piastra

Options
Chef in the Making
Chef in the Making Posts: 902
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone use a Piastra on the Egg? I noted in Mario Batali new book Italian Grill he refers to using a granite piastra.

thanks

Comments

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    Never heard of one until your post. His piastra is sold through Sur la Table for $49.95. I don't see any advantage over a cast iron griddle.
    Paul
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Thanks Paul. He does mention in his book that a cast iron griddle does teh job however I might go to cabinet store and see if they have a left over piece of granite to add to my toys.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    You might want to ask them for a piece of soapstone if they have it too. Soapstone is used to line pizza ovens and holds heat for hours. It would work great as a pizza stone in the egg. You can cut it with regular diamond blade saws and sand it with regular sand paper.
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    Chef in the Making wrote:
    Thanks Paul. He does mention in his book that a cast iron griddle does teh job however I might go to cabinet store and see if they have a left over piece of granite to add to my toys.

Be somewhat carefull with stone/ceramics/granite, as not all are equal. If they have any inclusions, they might crack or explode (yes explode) at high heat.

nooBBQ,