Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Webmaster needs Brisket HELP!

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First time out here for low and slow brisket. I've done whole Turkey and pork ribs in the past with good results.

Went to Whole Foods to get a brisket.... about 6 lbs... they had some trimmed in the case, but the butcher said if we were going to smoke it we'd do better with one with untrimmed. He brought us one out in one of those plastic sealed bags. It has a layer of fat on one side, but not too thick (at least it doesn't look that thick)... the recipe I'm trying is one from the Neely's on FoodTV.. they say trim but leave to 1/4 fat.

It's 7 hour smoke at 250 with a dry rub applied 24 hours in advance.

So how much should I panic about the trimming thing? The butcher said the fat is where the flavor is.. and I can see how it would act as "barding".. does most of it melt away over the 7 hour smoking? Or do I need to trim down to just the meat before applying the the dry rub or what?

Any suggestions for a good wood for the smoking?... I have Hickory, apple, pecan, jack daniels, and wine barrel, and hickory chunks on hand.

Any other tips, tricks or traps appreciated.

Here's the Neelys...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_167592,00.html

Here's a how to on brisket triming...
http://www.azbbqa.net/articles/brisket-trim.htm#

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    7 hours is gonna get you a piece of shoe leather. i have done 50 plus briskets and the rule of thumb is 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound at 250-265 degree rack temp. the whole trick to brisket is to take it to an internal temp of 195, then pull it and wrap in aluminun foil and a couple bath towels and place in a warm cooler for several hours before slicing.
    you can trim the packer brisket of the hard white fat but leave a good amount on so the brisket doesn;t dry out during the cook. set up your egg for an indirect cook with the platesetter and a drip pan and stabilize at 250-270 for an hour before adding the meat.
    rub the whole brisket with your favorite spices on both sides and let sit up to 24 hours.
    i use hickory or mesquite but use whatever you want and like. mix the chunks of wood in with the lump so it burns throughout the cook and allow yourself plenty of time.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I like the lighter woods so I use cherry or apple. If you can find Dr BBQ Butt rub recipe it is very good!
  • Artinflorida
    Options
    Here is a video on trimming, etc. There are 3 or 4 videos together.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNeCLO-_PI4&NR=1
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It sounds like it is best to trim most of the surface fat to allow better smoke penetration. They talk about a fat layer not letting the meat dry out, but I figure with the high moisture environment of a low-n-slow in the egg with indirect and a drip pan would provide an ample high moisture environment.

It also looks like many separate the flat from the point and smoke them together on the egg as two separate pieces of meat.

I'd personally like to keep the fat down to a minimum, partly to keep it a bit healthier but also because I personally I'm not a bit fan of having to trim a bunch of fat off after it's cooked... that's why I like ribs, just eat.

Any more feedback appreciated.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thirdeye has a great method for brisket. It has always served me well.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

Good cooking and let us know how yours turns out.

Kent