Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small vs Mini

Drunk at the EGG
Drunk at the EGG Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Like the earlier post, I too have a Large EGG and burn through Lump like nobodies business. It is not a money thing, but a quick up to temp and back down again would be great. Sometimes I am just cooking 5 burgers. I am a family of 5 with 4 Boys (including Me).
What would I be able to get out oa Small vs a Mini? Thanks for the Great help you Guys and Gals send me so fast!
Drunk

On a side note I am including a picture of my LGE EGG Nest. When I built my house I assumed I was not going to be here long and I did not have an EGG hole, but a cut out ready for a drop in gas grill. Three and a half years later I guess I should have made the hole round......

P4170008.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    For what it's worth, I have a large, medium, and mini. The large is by far the fastest and easiest of the three to get up to temps.

No way you can fit 5 burgers on a mini at the same time, you would have to cook them in cycles of 2-3 at a time.
  • What about cooking a Tri Tip or Butt on the Mini?
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    The small gets my vote as being more versitile than the mini for your needs.

That being said, I love my mini! It is great for cooking for just one or two people!

Smokey
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Nice egg home. I like the open access for th egg.

I really love the mini and if I am cooking small portions I prefer the mini over any of the other size eggs. It would fit nicely next to the large you have there. However, it would take up useful work space.

It is pretty easy to cook 8 to 10 hot dogs on the mini, 4 to 6 brats, 3 to 4 hamburgers maybe 5 unless you cook very large burgers. 4 chicken breasts, 3 large legg thighs. 4 peices of corn (real tight) 2 or three is better. 4 to 5 potatoes 2 to 3 good size bakers. Good sized meat loaf, whole chicken, I am not sure if I could get a spatchcock chicken on the mini, but I am going to try. 3 turkey legs, eggs, bacon and hash browns. 15 to 20 abt's, can't remember exactly.

On the mini if I want to cook with a raised grid so far I have just used less lump, thus getting the heat further away from the cook level. Indirect I have some 'S' hooks and a drip pan with 4 holes for the 'S' hooks.

When the family is over we cook for 14 adults plus 13 grandkids. I can get things done on the large but it is sure nice to use the medium, and or small and sometimes the mini. Other than the large the other eggs are nice to do some side dishes at different temps.

Nevertheless, with your size family I probably would consider a small and even think about a medium.

GG
  • Fidel
    No chance to do a whole butt, and a smaller tri tip would fit fine. I've never tried anything low-n-slow on the mini except fatties.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Damon:

Hey Man! question.....A couple of years back Molly gave my son ryan her old Mini that had taken a tumble and was cracked. I'm using it now and really like it. However, I'm still on the learning curve, and need some advice. It seems to take a long time to get the fire going to reach higher temps. Am I doing something wrong or is that just the nature of the critter?

Have a good weekend.

Mike
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    the butt would be a pain in the ars to do on the mini. i have a mini. i love it, and have done all types of cooks on it, including a small butt and spatchcocked cornish hens.

to do a butt you would first have to fabricate the indirect setup (platesetters aren't currently available through the bge system). secondly the longest burn i had on the mini using one load of lump was just under five hours.

that being said you could do a smaller butt if you wanted to wrangle with it.

tritips and pork loins are no problem with the setup and come out great on the mini.

now if you had a small(which i don't), it is my understanding that virtually anything you do on your large can be done on the small without any extreme machinations.
  • Grandpas Grub
    "What about cooking a Tri Tip or Butt on the Mini?"

Interesting question.

I would think a smaller butt would work on the mini.

I only put in a cup or so of lump so there is not much lump going into the mini. I would expect one had better plan on adding more lump for the cook.

When I cook a butt or brisket, so far, I always go back to the large.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Lawn Ranger,

Odd, if possible I go to the mini every time for the reason it takes less time to start and get to temp.

I use a Mapp or oil/napkin and light in 3 spots. Once in a while I blow into the lower vent to get things going a little faster.

I very seldom use the DFMT and usually have clear smoke and at temp in 5 or so minutes.

We are doing some brats and hopefully hot German Potato salid for lunch so I will time the mini to see how long it actually takes.

GG
  • Smokey
    LR,

I find it heats up faster with fresh lump (but I use it till Iit's all gone). Aslo since it is so small, it cloggs a bit easier that the others.

I also have a Mini Woo Ring. I think using a little more lump helps!

P5210024.jpg

P1080002.jpg

Smokey
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    That's some pretty uniform shaped lump you have in there. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Good catch, that does have a nice uniform shape.

GG
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    My lump is usually jagged and in pieces of differing sizes- what am I doing wrong?

Walt
  • Lawn Ranger
    Sorry about the out of order post. I confuse easily. I think your right about the additional lump. I may be leaning to the shy side. i may have to have a WooRing.

Thanks.

Mike
  • Lawn Ranger
    Like I said, I'm on a learning curve. It's shaped like an "S".

LR
  • Fidel
    Nothing, it was a joke. He had briquettes in there.
  • Little Steven
    Cecil Got it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Thanks, I forget how sarcasm and internet messages sometimes don't mix.
  • Grandpas Grub
    "It's shaped like an "S"

Sorry, I don't understand the question/statment.

Kent
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    I have a Large, Small, and a Mini.I like'em all...I use'm all!!

Without a doubt...(where versatility is concerned)..the Small is a better choice than the Mini!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Smokey
    Good eye!

That picture actually show some Wicked Good briquettes. They asked me to test this product last year (I am no Naked Whiz mind you). I thought it was a good product, but am not sure they are selling it.

P5210022.jpg
    P5210021.jpg

Smokey
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Whoah!!!

Briquettes??

Damon...Shame...Shame!!!

I don't mean to be harsh, but "Friends don't let Friends...cook with Briquettes"!!

I will have to speak with Max concerning your future "Club" status!!

"Concerned" in Cypress
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    OK, you are forgiven. :woohoo: :side:
  • Smokey
    Yes and No!!

It's Wicked Good all Natural Hardwood Briquettes. They asked me to test it and I thought it was good.
    P5210021.jpg
    Smokey
  • Little Steven
    Smokey.

How did they work? I saw in the pic with the food that you use lump. My goood friend mikeb6109 has sent me several bags of the WG lump and it is fantastic. Can't find it around here.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Smokey
    NO, MAN.

You know I am a PURIST!! I would disgrace my egg with anything but the best!

It is made from the left over lump pressed together at someting like 10,000 lbs of presure. NO ADDITIVES (or so they say). Notice I only cooked hot dogs for the test!!

P5210021.jpg

Smokey
  • Smokey
    I thought it was good. I would probably only use it when doing low-n-slow and mix it with regular lump. I certainly would keep a bag or 2 around!

Smokey
  • Grandpas Grub
    Wow, I had to have defib...

Looking at the bag, I am not sure why you would need to mix with lump.

Looks pretty nice. The BGE and RO I get has many pieces that are extremely samll. These would not colg the grate or the firebox vent holes. If you get the same burn charastics as lump I would rather have that than what we get out here most of the time.

I thought I saw where kingsford had some 100% lump brickettes.

GG
  • Smokey
    :sick: "I AM NOT AN ANIMAL" :blink: ... using briquettes!!!

Actually burn time was quite good. The stuff was VERY dense and difficult to light (at least one reason to mix). The bag in the picture (11 lbs) was the same size as the 4.5 lbs bags of lump I have seen.

Smokey
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I was having the same problem. I just clean it out after every cook. Searing steaks at 600 at the wash is fun. Talk to Casey, get him to make you a plate setter for your mini. Cooking on it will never be the same. Fatties for breakfast.

Mike