Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt cook times ....help

Options
Smokin' Jacket
Smokin' Jacket Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK here's my situation....oldest daughter graduates from high school tonight (Fri)... three parties to attend on Saturday starting about noon.....Sunday about 75-100 people coming to our house for graduation drop-in party.
I am cooking about 30 lbs of butt. My wife insists that the cook be done before Sunday. She doesn't want me cooking/cleaning-up when guests are arriving. :S
So I am planning on starting my cook today and hoping to be completed (finished cooking, chopped and cleaned-up) by noon on Saturday. This frees me to be away all day Saturday for parties, but I will have to leave it unattended during the graduation ceremonies tonight.

When do I need to put the butts on the egg to meet this schedule? I have (4) butts...(3) eights lb. and (1) 5lb.

And what is the best way to reheat the pork for the party on Sunday?

Comments

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    If the butt aren't touching each other on the egg you should be around 1.5 to 2 hours per pound per butt. That being said...every butt is different and some are shorter and some are longer cooks. The best way to reheat is to use zip lock bags and put the bag with meat in a pot of warm (almost boiling) water until warmed through. Good luck.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    crammed together, they might hinder airflow a little until they shrink. but generally, at 225 dome you'd take as much as 2.5 hours a pound. 2 hours a pound for a dome of 250.

going by the biggest, at 8 pounds, assume at least 16 hours for a 250 dome. allow a couple more at least. could be as much as 20 hours from the time the meat hits the grid.

i've had success reheating by putting the meat in a tinfoil pan with tinfoil over top, and letting it heat up slowly, say 275-300, in the oven. keep the lid tight, stir it every now and then. sometimes add a can of coke (though don't let anyone see you).

i guess you could crock-pot it, too. or (in desperation) reheat in batches in the micro, adding the batches back to the foiled pan as you take out another batch. we had to do that once, and it was fine.

reheating in the oven lets the folks smell it too.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    I like stike's logic. i figure about 2 hours/lb then add 2 hours cushion. Did 4-8 lbers last weekend. @ 250 -275 which took just over 17 hours. Don't keep opening to check...that adds time significantly. Good luck,
    mike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    my best guess is 14 to 16 hours plus up to about 5 or 6 in the cooler if you are still at one of the parties or just cant get at it, or the cook takes longer. i like the reheat from a vacuum sealed bag best in boiling water. i would still be thinking of ways to start the cook around 6 on saterday and have it sitting in a cooler around 9 or 10 sunday morning waiting for the wifes word that we will be eating in an hour. pulling the butt is easier than the reheat especially since at a party there is always someone that wants to help with it and get the first samples.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    tinfoil? Aren't you afraid of the noxious fumes?

I only use aluminum foil myself to keep from poisoning everyone around me.

(yea, it's Friday...but at least I know I am one.....hee hee)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    my wife calls plastic wrap "cellophane".

it's like we grew up in the 30s
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante