Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table tops

Warthog
Warthog Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I need a little input here from the regulars. I recently came across a slab of black granite that did not work out on one of our renovation projects. We already bought it, and I didn't want it to go to waste. I had the contractor cut it down for me for my large egg table top. It is basically a rectangle with a curved front. It is 27" deep at the sides and 32" deep at the center. 54" wide, with a 21" diameter hole in the middle. I know it is going to be a heavy table. I can not safetly lift this slab on my own. But I couldn't turn down a free slab of granite. Other than the weight, and maintaining the finish, are there any other draw backs to using granite for a egg table top?

Also, how far above the band will the egg need to sit for the hinge to clear when the top is open, and will this create a large gap between the egg and the top?

All input is welcome, along with any ideas for the frame set up.

Thanks in advance,

Warthog

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    The only thing that kept me from putting granite on my table was the $1000 they wanted for the slab finished. As for the top clearance, check the various plans shown on the forum here and you will find about 15" from the bottom of the egg to the TOP of the Table will allow clearance, and for a large the opening has to be at least 21" for that to work.

For a reference my plans are on my blog at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com Just look at the entry log on the left and click on the table plans and some dimensions are on that drawing.
    Happy Eggin'
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Warthog
    Thanks for the info. I just didn't want to have to notch out for the hinges unless I had to, while still keeping the narrowest of clearance needed between the egg and the table.

Hopefully, there will be pictures soon!!
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Granite is perfect. I would pick out a concrete paver for it to set on then take a few measurements. The distance from the top of the granite to the support shelf should be:

The distance from the hinge to the bottom of the egg with the dome open, plus the thickness of the paver, plus a 1/2" for the green egg feet, plus a 1/2" to 1" for clearance for the hinge above the table.

As far as the table goes - a simple build is the one on the BGE website with adjustments for the shelf height.

Good luck - post a pic when it's finished. Black granite will be nice.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you won't need to maintain it. that sh!t sat in the ground for 1.5 billion years without you helpin it, it'll get by just fine
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Krusty
    Krusty Posts: 77
    I initially planned to do a granite tile top. I changed my mind after I tried to pick up one of the tiles after it had sat in the sun for a little while. Granite gets REALLY hot in the sun. My table sits in full sun so I changed over to porcelain tile. It still gets hot, but not near as hot as the granite did. If my table didn't sit in full sun, then I definitely would have went with the granite.
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    I've used granite in countertops, back splashes, trivets, towel holders, bathroom sink tops etc. I have never been less than delighted with the performance. Deeply regret that I went along with wife's preference for Corian in our home. Does it get hot in the sun - absolutely. For a reference point my BGE gets to an internal temperature of 150 yo 175 degrees in the sun and we are still in May. Anything dark gets hot in direct sun - and yes it is true, you can fry an egg on the asphalt in Phoenix in July.

Go with the granite - it will be even more stable than your egg through temperature extremes and will always clean up easily, never need refinishing and look great. I was exploring the thought of granite pavers, but gave up after looking at the costs.
  • Warthog
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have the round piece that was cut out that I was going to use for the paver. Thought it would tie everything in. I guess I my one concern was, did I cut the hole too big since I have to raise the egg up to get the height needed for the hinge to clear the top at full open. I guess I will just have to mess with it once I start figuring the table height and lower shelf height. The other concern is going to be the wheels. I think I am going to need some fairly strong casters to support this thing. I think the egg is like 140 lbs, the top is at least that, probably closer to 200. Then the frame I am going to be pushing close to 400 lbs.

Should be interesting. Thanks for the response!

Warthog
  • Warthog
    Anything has to look better than the ones that came with the egg, They are like sponges! I wasn't real concerned, but I know you have to be careful with granite countertops with acidic based liquids.

Thanks for the input though.

Warthog
  • Warthog
    Pyro,
    Thanks for the input. I have about 30 -45 days of summer here in the NW. "HOT" here is 85! Summer starts around July 1st. and is about over by about mid August with a few reminders thrown in during Sept.

I am feeling much better about using this stuff, and the price was right.

I now have to think about the frame material. If I don't use something exotic, I might feel like I am polishing a t*rd!

Warthog
  • Warthog
    I don't think the sun will be that much of a problem out here in Seattle. I get morning sun and then it is gone around the side, away from the deck. Like I told Pyro, hot, here is 85!

Pictures to follow (hopefully) soon.

thanks again for your input.

Warthog
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    With all the weight you are looking at with the egg and the rock, you may want to put pneumatic tires (8-10" diameter) on one end and heavy duty casters on the other end. If you buy some mickey mouse stuff, you will be changing it. The cut out should be fine for the egg to sit on - make sure you still use the BGE feet to put some air space between the Egg and the granite.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    As a granite and coprian saleman I would like to chime in. The darker the granite the less porous it will be. Black Absolute and Galaxy black should give you years of enjoyment with very little maintainence. You should seal the stone however. Use a product called Stone Tech from duPont about every 6 months (water based and very easy to use). when you clean it try not to use vinegar or harsh detergents (even dishwashing soap is tough on the rock and takes off the sealer). Just use a wet rag or paper towel and you'll be fine.
  • Warthog
    It is Galaxy black! Thanks for the input. I am really looking forward to getting this thing put together. I think it is going to look like the first off road egg table.

Warthog