Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Hot Tub - First Hot Cook

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night, took the remaining 2 New York Strips from the package of 4 (did 1st 2 on Sat) , rubbed with Kosher Salt & Cracked BP, ziplocked them, and soaked in hot tap water in deep corning ware dish for 1 full hour. Large set up "standard" at 550deg. (1st time I had her over 450 for any period of time). 4 minutes, turned 90, 4 minutes, flipped, 4 minutes, turned 90, 4 miunutes, pulled them off, foil tented for 5 min while potato's finished. Beautiful and delicious.
They were much more tender than those cooked on Saturday.
Sorry for no pics....really need to charge the camera battery.

Ron

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    when i preheat the steak like that, i usually settle in on 750 or so, and go maybe only need to go 2 minutes a side, max. did it take 8 minutes a side to get to medium rare?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Forgot to mention, the girlfriend and I are both "Well Done" people. The egg suits us great in many ways, but one attribute is it's ability to hold in moisture.

Ron
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    although i have never-ever cooked a well done steak on the egg, i suppose one day i willl have a guest that loves a steak prepared thusly. glad to know the thing will still come out moist and tender.
  • stike
    Options
    ok. we're gonna talk you off that ledge (the 'well done' one). friends don't let freinds overcook beef.

try (just try) pulling it off only 10 degrees cooler. not even medium, but medium well. go slow, baby steps!.
    as fishless says, if it is a totally psychological issue, just turn the lights down a bit. eat by candle light. then, over tiem, you can crank it down to medium at least.

not trying to berate you for the path you are on, merely pointing to another path, not too far away, which leads to the best steak (even better than last night's).

literally and figuratively, go by degrees. decide one night that "ok, we'll see what this is all about", and try it ten degrees cooler. if you thought it was moist last night, wait til you try even moister, and more tender
  • Crüe-B-Cüe
    Options
    After 15 years, I have gotten the wifey down to med. well. I can pull hers off right at 155-160* and she will eat it now. I used to have to show her that it was at 170*. I cook mine med rare and she will taste a bite of mine and say it's good, but it's too red for her.
  • stike
    Options
    i went out to lunch with my boss once. lunch with the boss was easily three times a week, 2 hours or more, and generally multi-beverage. one day, multi-beverages into lunch, we finally ordered. both got the exact same thing, a burger with cheese, and shrooms.

i ordered RARE. he shuddered, handed the menu to the waitress while he looked at me aghast and said "i dunno how you could eat such a thing. i'll have mine well, thanks".

they arrived, and i took a bite of mine. friggin-A. they way overcooked it. he takes a bite of his. "mmm mmmm mmm" and he's laffing at me because mine is screwed up but his is wonderful.

as he puts his down (half-eaten by now) to take a drink or somethin i spot that he has MY burger. it's purple in the middle. i tell him as much, and demand we do the switcheroo.
    "no way" he says, "this is the best burger i ever had!". fast forward. we go there again, same order. he orders "well done" again. w/t/f, i ask? "sorry, man. i can't eat rare."

for one brief shining moment i had him.
    hard to unlearn habits. especially bad ones!
  • Bacchus
    Options
    As I have been telling waiters for many years.....YES I do want my steak well done.

:)