Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow, or Slower cooked Ribeyes

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey All,[p]Just a post to tell about the way I've been cooking steaks on the egg. Seems like everyone here, and I use "everyone" very open endedly, cooks their steaks hot and fast. There are a lot of new names on the boards and I thought I'd let them know that its not the only way to do steaks. I cook mine slower and like the results more than the hot and fast method. Again, this is just MY OPINION but another show of the eggs versatility as I don't in any way mean to say this is the BEST way, its just MY way.[p]As a side note, when I get steaks cut I ask my butcher to cut it by weight, not by thickness. I typically get 16oz cuts, on T-Bones/Porterhouse thats about 3/4-1 inch, on ribeyes and strips its about an inch and a quarter. It depends on the size of the whole ribeye/T-Bone or strip they are cutting it from obviously but this is a general size.[p]My steaks always get marinated in olive oil for a couple of days before cooking. Usually its infused with fresh herbs but they all get this treatment. Then, about an hour before the cook I take them out of the fridge and put them in a baking dish. I put a couple tablespoons of Andreas Steak Sauce on one side of the steaks, some salt and pepper and garlic powder. When the grill is ready, holding steady at 325-350, I put the steaks on.[p]I typically grill the steaks for about 20-25 minutes total time, direct, flipping to avoid hot spots etc. When I flip them I use another couple tablespoons of Andreas on them, and more salt/pepper/garlic powder. At the end of the cook I take a pretty good size pat of butter and throw it on the steaks and let it melt as I carry them inside. Let the steaks rest a few minutes and serve away. This gets a more medium steak, I typically take mine off a bit earlier as I like it more medium rare, she likes hers more on the medium side.[p]Again, this is just MY method of steak preparation and after experimenting for 2-3 years, the one that the family always falls back on as their favorite. There are a lot of ways to prepare a great steak on the egg, this is the one we prefer.[p]Troy

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    sprinter,
    Great post, Troy!
    Happpy fourth of Jooooooly!!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Same to you NB, have a great holiday. Smoked a couple of butts Monday night overnight, taking it to the boat in KY early tomorrow for the family 4th get together at KY lake. The parents arrived about 10 days ago with the boat, trip form FL took about 6 days up the river. The get together is always a blast and my uncle has been asking me for the past 3 months if I'm bringing the Q he loves so much. I smoked the second butt just for him and his family and made him about a half gallon of the sauce he loves. Its nice to cook for someone who really appreciates it and LIKES it.[p]Happy 4th and be safe.[p]Troy[p]PS: Upside to having the boat in KY is that we get to use it a LOT during the summer, Downside to having the boat in KY is that the fishing just aint the same, in fact we dont. Bass and Stripers are good, Cobia and Snapper and Mackerel are MUCH better.