Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe wanted: "Pulled Pork in 4 Hours"

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I couple of years ago, we got a great recipe from the Forum for Pulled Pork in Four Hours. We're planning to make it for the 4th of July (it was a huge hit last year), but have lost the recipe and can't find it in the archives! If any of y'all have a copy, please re-post it, or email it to me at traylork@attbi.com. Thanks!!

Comments

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    K.T.,
    Please post so we can use also. Thanks

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    K.T.,[p]At the risk of being ridiculed I will post this once again. There are many that like to poke fun at this method and I'm sure they have not even tried it. I have made it when pushed for time and although it is certainly is not the "pulled pork" that I prefer it will get you by in a pinch.[p]4-6 lb butt or roast seasoned to taste.[p]1. Smoke direct at 200-225 for about 1 hr 30 min.[p]2. Increase temp to 275 and cook another hour or so.[p]3. Remove meat from egg and add more seasoning then wrap in foil and return to egg for another hour or so.[p]4. After that hour, close the egg off shutting upper and lower vents and leave meat to dwell another hour or so.[p]Remove from egg and let meat rest for 15-20 minutes. You can either chop or slice.[p]This method actually requires about 5 hours or so. The Technique was developed by Larry who used to work for BGE HQ and sold me my first unit over 3 years ago. The recipe which I have a copy of is titled "Larry's Roast Technique" and was never claimed to be "pulled pork" but if chopped it can certainly pass as decent BBQ. It was a taste of this from Larry who was cooking the day I visted BGE HQ that sold me on my purchase. Since that time I have enjoyed many techniques of cooking various foods of all kinds. I still remember how good the taste of his "roast" was that day and often wonder how Larry is fairing.[p] [p]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    K.T., that sparked a tremendous debate over how could someone possibly do in four hours what we all know takes twenty hours. It was a Mike from NC (not NC Mike) who was not nearly as evil a person as we made him out to be. I had his recipe and I published it in early copies of my collected recipes but I finally took it out because I was convinced it was not as good. Mike was also nice enough to provide me with some of his "secret" sauce which was also ok but not my favorite. I may be able to scrounge up a copy of the recipe (it was a long discussion of how to cook it) but basically what it comes down to is cook it at a higher temp. Instead of trying for a dome temperature of around 225-250, try it at 350-400. Then for extra measure pull it off at 190 rather than 200 or so. You get a pullable meat but it contains more fat than I like.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bob,
    I remember the HOT discusiion that followed your original posting of this...about 3 years ago!! That was a juicy one if it could be dug up (if those archives still exist). Several doubters, and a couple people who agreed to test it. [p]Hope all is well down your way. We had code PURPLE air quality today. Orange is bad. Red is hideous. Purple leaves you frothing at the mouth if you are a roofer. I was doing ozone shots! And I am not a roofer.[p]Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    K.T.,
    Heavy smoke 3.5 hrs, finish in pressure cooker.

• Unknown
    Options
    Bob,[p]Thanks, Bob! While they are sitting at their computers composing ridicule (because they can't leave the house - they have 16 more hours to go....), we'll be at the ball game, or on the lake, or hiking up a mountain. So maybe you get better pulled pork with a 20-hour smoke, but the four hour version is perfectly adequate for us less-than-truly-devoted-eggers! I'd better duck before the rotten tomatoes start heading my direction...[p]KT