Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt..inject or not ?

Options
vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done several pork butts since I have had my BGE...they have all turned out to be very, very good...I am doing two more this weekend for company on Sunday...I have never injected my butts but read where others do this...

Please tell me what you inject them with, when you inject them and if you REALLY think this makes them better...I appreciate all comments...

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    personally I have brined one butt once and injected one once. Both came out having a weird ham-like off taste and I'll never waste a butt again. Just my opinion, mind you!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I'm sure that there are some injections that must be good since many of the top competitors inject, but when I judged a comp, the injected pork tasted weird. When I bite into pulled pork it shouldn't taste like a pineapple, IMHO. -RP
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Kim I inject sometimes with a solation of half water and apple cider. I think it keeps it more moist.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i inject elder wards vinegar sauce sometimes. i inject it half way into the cook at about 165 internal in the egg where i dont care if it makes a mess, i like the flavor. with 2 butts you could do a taste testing with your guests. next one i might try adding some honey to his recipe and see what happens. ive mixed apple juice with that recipe for injecting and it was pretty good. i used the big cabellas injector which you would never want to use indoors anyways. i do everything last minute, rub etc just before putting it on the egg, injecting ahead of time would never work for me.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • vidalia1
    Options
    If I inject it, it will be after the butt has come out of plateau around 170...I was thinking of doing just that...inject one & leave the other one "regular"...thanks for the advice.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    one thing is dont go hog while with the injection at this point, too much and it sems to flush out some of the collagen that makes a butt seem moist. add enough for flavor but not so much that its pouring out.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    I smoke 4-6 Butts per month for my wife's catering company and I've injected them...Not injected them....And I just never could taste that much difference between the two....So I don't inject anymore.....Alot of folks use apple juice with various dry rubs mixed in....and they seem to like that combination.....I just don't think it's worth the time and effort....I do use a very spicy mustard and DP Swamp Venon...and Live Oak chunks....and that makes for a very tasty crust combination....

Eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Eddie,

Swamp Venom is sneaky hot/spicy...do people ever complain that the pork is too spicy?...I like swamp Venom but would not have thought to try it as a pork rub....hmmm :silly: