Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spare ribs vs baby backs

Options
rxdawg
rxdawg Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up some spare ribs this week as they were on sale .. now I realize I've only done baby backs on the egg.

Any tips on how to approach them, or is it the same?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    after you have finished cooking them however you do.. i would try the CWM methoude.... try this:

Pork, Ribs, Spare, Fat Johnny's Rib Swampcicles

smoked spareribs rubbed with Swamp Venom and dunked in a *buffalo* sauce made with equal parts: melted butter, Louisiana Hot Sauce and Pee Dee River Swamp Sauce

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Chez

Source: BBQ Forum on May 11, 2008

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Spares are cooked the same as BBs, but typically take longer. I usually figure 5 hours for BBs and 7 hours for spares. -RP
  • GatorEgg
    GatorEgg Posts: 36
    Options
    I was going to do baby backs this mothers day, however I waited to long saturday and every store I went to was sold out, so I bought some spareribs. I cooked them just like I do my baby backs.

dust them with Butt Rub or your favorite rub
    cook at 290 for 3 hours in rib rack (apple wood is good for the smoke)
    coat with orange marmalade and cook 2 more hours laid flat on the grid ( so the marmalade doesn't all run off)
    wrap in foil for and hour or so before eating
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    just cook them like usual, only longer. sometimes spares need more prep as in cutting off the rib tips.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    If they are less than 3 lbs each you can do the 3-1-1 method, only make it 4-1-1-. Check at 3.5 hours to see if you are getting a little bend in them. About 275 dome. Depending on size you might not need the full hour in foil and at the end.

I recommend cutting them st. louis style which means cut horizontally across the top of the bones. That part can be cooked too and will be ready after about 3 hours or so for a snack.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    First, check thirdeye's site out:

Spare Rib preparation--click here

This is what three racks of St Louis style spares look like on an LBGE:
    IMG_9254.jpg
    IMG_9256.jpg

Like the guys said earlier, you can cook the trimmings and cut them into cubes and serve them up before the ribs are done. Be sure to trim the excess fat on the meat side, too. For some reason it doesn't quite break down after the meat is cooked.

Good luck with the cook!
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    Here's a video clip on youtube on how to trim St. Louis Style spear ribs. Very easy to do!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H_MGM_RRTUQ
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I trim my spares to St. Louis style as noted in the excellent video clip in NJ-GrEGG's post and then run them "3-2-1" and they always turn out nice.

It seems that most hard core competition q-ers like the spares while most back yard enthusiasts like the loin back ribs. I go through phases of having each as my favorite. Right now, I'm in the loin back phase:)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This