Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-1-1 with no sauce?

Options
eggheel
eggheel Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I typically like to do a simple dry rub bb rib and add a NC vinegar based sauce at the end. Pre-egg I did the ribs in the oven for about 6 hours in a covered roasting pan. This way they sat in their own fat and got "fall off the bone" tender. Failed to replicate this so far on the egg. Will the 3-1-1 work if I don't use sauce to keep moist?

Comments

• Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 116
    Options
    Just a thought, why don't you put them on the grill for several hours low temp and soak up the grill and smoke flavor then wrap them in foil. Might even want to hose um down with some NC sauce and then wrap um.
  • Tommy
    Options
    Also I really like the plate setter for long cooks, it keeps skin from getting to done. Using the plate setter you can go longer before you foil, if you do foil.
    But I haven't won any contest so don't take my word as gospel.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    The 3-1-1 Method doesn't require sauce till the last few minutes of the cook. That is only to carmelize the sauce.

Simple answer YES. You really don't want them "fall off the bone" . At that point they are actually over cooked. You want the meat to just have a gentle pull on the bone.

During that last hour check the ribs by picking them up with tongs perpendicular to the bone. The rack should bend 90 degrees and not break. Or if you stick them with a toothpick the toothpick should pull out without resistance. The last hour could and usually is less then and hour.

While they are in the foil add a small amount of apple juice in the foil. This will help enhance the flavor of the final product.

IMHO: Ribs don't really fix the Eastern NC Vinegar based sauce profile. Now the western NC tomato based sauce does..
  • Tommy
    Options
    In my pre eggin days I had a recipe that I cooked in the crock pot.
    The ribs were really goood and they did fall off of the bone, but the grill does not produce the same texture as the crock pot it also does not have grill and smoke flavor.
    The same recipe on the grill is better IMO.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    If you boil ribs you might as well make soup!! :unsure:

Seriously you want the meat to come off the bone clean, but there should be a minor tug.
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    Has anyone here tried using apple cider rather than apple juice? I prefer the flavor and wonder if the slightly acidic nature would benefit ribs?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    The only difference between Cider and Juice is the process in which it is made and the clarity. Apple Cider will work well too.

Apple Cider Vinegar will not.
  • Tommy
    Options
    I concer with that emotion, crock pots are for soup.
    And yes I love to use Braggs apple cider vinegar and or apple juice and apple cider mixed.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    remember that the egg does a much better job of retaining heat and moisture than a gazzer so drying out is not as much of a problem...some folks spritz with apple juice or cider once an hour or so..but I find that just rinses some of the rub off especially if done too soon.. as to 'fall off the bone'..there's a fine line between 'fall off the bone' and 'mushy'. Mushy ribs are not good...also..i prefer a tomato base sauce to vinegar base on ribs...just mho..