Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whistle Stop Festival 2008 - Huntsville AL

Options
BamaEGG
BamaEGG Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I attended my first Whistle stop festival yesterday. I missed the deadline to register for the amateur BBQ competition. There were a ton of people there cooking. There was also a pretty good number of people cooking on EGGs. I talked to one guy and he was pretty rude. Not sure why.

Clearly we need to get any Eggers from North AL that post here to get together to cook next year.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    what time did you try to talk to the "Rude" guy?

was he busy prepping his meat?

was he busy getting a box ready to turn in?

did he just finish throwing some bums out of his beer cooler?

did you just happen to show up after the 48th person begging for a sample?

just asking.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I'm not sure what a Whistle Stop Festival is but it sounds as if there was competition going on. Those guys are under a lot of pressure and don't have time to visit. To me that is not fun and TOTALLY different than eggfests. The eggfests are all about sharing food, techniques and friendship. If you can, plan ahead and be sure to attend one soon. You will then see what eggers are all about.....far from rude and full of love. The Texas Eggfest is in Austin next Saturday - come on over. Hope to see you soon...
    Judy
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Snuffy
    Snuffy Posts: 26
    Options
    I live in North Alabama. I'm a new egger and still have a LOT to learn. I would be happy to meet up and talk or cook.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Whistlestop is the KCBS contest in Huntsville, AL. There were some well traveled teams here this year:

Bigreen Eggs and Ham
    Lotta Bull
    Fast Eddy
    Jiggy Piggy
    Bill and the Dixie Chics
    too many more than I can probably name

GC was Cool Smoke
    RGC was Smokey Mountin Smokers

There were tons of large eggs in the shadetree division. Dan was the egg team I saw on the main drag of the pro teams.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Give me a shout in HSV. The number is 858-5511. We live near Maysville. I am always open to talk eggs.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Cool Smoke is the current KCBS Team of the Year
    and a heck of a nice guy.

Here's top Ten list:
    [ul]http://blog.al.com/breaking/2008/05/whistlestop_bbq_winners.html[/ul]
  • AuburnTiger
    AuburnTiger Posts: 38
    Options
    I came in 19th overall.