Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Crack in my Enamel!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK - I left my egg outside all winter without a cover (used it throughout the winter) and we had a brutal one in Wisconsin this year. Just noticed that I have a large crack in the green enamel on the dome and a piece (about the size of a man's thumb) of the enamel has flaked off completely.

Looking for my purchase documents now - but just wondering. Is this normal? If not, can I expect it to be covered under a warranty? Bought the egg approx. 10 months ago.

Also, I suppose its recommended to use a cover if I'm going to leave it outdoors year round in our harsh environment?

Thanks for any answers and advice kind egg-people!!

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    weather should not affect the egg, covered or not. many of us do not cover the egg. temps here range from 0 to 100+ don't have a cover..... cook all year.
    bill
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    OUCH! :sick: We keep ours out all the time here in Maine. WE have a little over a year under our belt with them and no problems yet. Everyone claims the warranty is the best and the service too. I know a lot of regulars on here are at Fests this weekend :ermm: so I am sure someone will kick in with some advice. Hope it all works out. Julie
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    My hunch would be that you're covered. Many in the northern latitudes have shown pictures here of their BGE's covered with snow. I'd start rattling your dealer's cage and/or call Atlanta! Best of luck!
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    I had some pieces pop off of mine and the mothership sent me a new lid with no problem. On the other hand, when the movers thought it was attached to the nest and tried to lift it with one grabbing the top and the other grabbing the nest, THEY bought me a new one!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Cover the egg. Keep the rain/snow off it, protect it from all forms of rough weather.
    Clay up in Appleton Wisconsin
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    First off - it ain't enamel; it's glaze on a ceramic body. If it cracks or flakes off, you've got a problem with a capital P and that rhymes with E and that stands for Egg! Take it up, as others before me have said, with your dealer and, if need be, the Mother Ship.

My first 4 winters of Eggsperience were in Colorado; cooked year-round 24/7 and never covered. No problems with either the large or the small.

HTH
    Ken