Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pilgrimage to "BBQ Mecca"

Options
Austin Smoker
Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I was down in San Marcos, TX on business today, which for me is only an hour's drive south. It's a mere 13 miles to Lockhart from there....so as far as I was concerned, that's "on the way home!" :evil:

So I headed a little to the West and quickly arrived in Lockhart. I've been to Black's before and another lesser known BBQ outpost in the self proclaimed (and well earned) BBQ Capital of Texas. But I had not previously been to Smitty's.....I WILL BE BACK!!

This place is OLD!! Right of the square of this little town, where they were hosting a big National Day of Prayer event at lunch-time...pretty cool, lots of WWII vets and older folks from this little town.

Anyway, when you walk in the door, you are in the Pit Room which consists of 4 or 5 large brick pits, covered by huge, flat iron lids...the freaking fire is ON THE FLOOR at one end of the pits and is drawn through the entire row of pits! CRAZY!! So you order the meats (brisket, beef shoulder advertised as lean, hot link, regular sausage, pork ribs, etc.) right there at the pits, and pay (not much) for it right there! Then you walk through two glass doors into what looks like an old General Store (without all the shelves), pay for your sides (beans, slaw, drinks, etc) that stuff there.

I got 1/2 pound of brisket (no forks, just a plastic knife and some white bread) and a link of hot - all wrapped up in butcher paper - also got some beans and a lemonade - total? Less than 9 bucks!!

Now I love BBQ of all kinds, remember - lived in Memphis, been to the Carolinas, Dreamland.....et al - heck, I just dig it all! But THIS BRISKET was the best BBQ experience of my 42 years. It was perfect brisket - moist, but not tons of fat, gorgeous smoke ring, great bark, and wonderful texture. THEY SERVE NO SAUCE - and it needed NO sauce! Just slap a couple slices in-between two slices of that cheap white bread and dig in.

The sausage was okay, but up against the brisket...no chance. If you get the chance, go get you some!! I know this, the standard I am shooting for with my brisket has been set, and I'm pretty sure I'll be checking against that standard OFTEN!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well since you are going to be back take a few picks next time i have a picture in my mind.. but would love to see some picks!!!!!

no good brisket here :angry:

maybe i will give it a try this weekend again.. last time :sick:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Austin Smoker
    Options
    I'll do it....I'm going to be back down that way in a couple weeks.
  • Hook 'em
    Hook 'em Posts: 4
    Options
    thar aint no brisket like Texas brisket. I've tried all the others and they are no match. I'm a minimalist and believe that bbq meat should have all the flavor with out needing sauce.

Hit the trail
    http://www.texasbbqtrail.com/
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    You Sir, are killin' me!!

I've been to Smitty's, but not since the early 80's. I'm very happy to hear that they're still there and cooking up some of the best brisket in the galaxy. An 8 pounder is going on the egg tonight so I'll nead to get some cheap white bread and salute Smitty's and the BBQ Capital of the World.....

Good eggin' -paul
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Now....where is eggzackly is this place??.....Texas ain't the only big state.....Florida ain't no slouch!!.....But I travel alot on business quite a bit and manage to find my way to place like this one.........So is it near Dallas?....Near Houston??.....Educate this flatlander....and hopefully someday I'll get there....

I don't like much sauce...but I do like a little dippin' sauce.....so whez I go I'll be sure to take maybe some Blues Hog with me just fo a litte dipping side sauce....Don't care if they don't gimme a fork or not....Don't neeed one......My fingers is clean e'nuff......

Thanks.....

eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

Ya cain't never tell where the big fella is gonna show up next.........
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Closer to Austin than the other cities you list - Head 71 East out toward the Austin Airport and turn South on 183 - you'll get to Lockhart and can't miss Smitty's on the right. I'll post pics after the next visit!!

EddieMac wrote:
    Now....where is eggzackly is this place??.....Texas ain't the only big state.....Florida ain't no slouch!!.....But I travel alot on business quite a bit and manage to find my way to place like this one.........So is it near Dallas?....Near Houston??.....Educate this flatlander....and hopefully someday I'll get there....

I don't like much sauce...but I do like a little dippin' sauce.....so whez I go I'll be sure to take maybe some Blues Hog with me just fo a litte dipping side sauce....Don't care if they don't gimme a fork or not....Don't neeed one......My fingers is clean e'nuff......

Thanks.....

eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

Ya cain't never tell where the big fella is gonna show up next.........