Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spingtime Steaks in Idaho

Options
wannabebackinTexas
wannabebackinTexas Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Loaded up the Egg with Wicked Good up to the fire ring. Light rain, no problem getting the fire going. Went inside to season 3 choice ribeyes, all 1 and 1/2 inches thick. By the time the thermometer on the egg pegged at 750 the light rain had changed to light snow. Another 5 minutes and the steaks went on the grill for the sear (the snow had stopped). By the time the egg had cooled down to 400 and smoking happily from the two fist sized chunks of mesquite I had tossed in the sun was shining. Steaks went back on for 4 1/2 minutes per side and came out GREAT. Springtime in Idaho.

Thanks to The Big Green Egg, Dizzy Pig, Wicked Good Charcoal, this Forum and Sir TREX.
The steaks I did last night were absolutely steak house quality.

Good eggin'
-Paul

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Paul,

Sounds about par for this time of year... Whereabouts in Idaho are you?

Kent
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    Kent,

We're just a bit southwest of Boise near a little town called Kuna. Just waiting for it to warm up.

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Years ago I sold equipment to the professional photographers and photo labs up your way. I remember it was pretty hard selling into the Military at Mt. Home.

I used to love the road trips up your way. There was a great mexican resturant close to the Snake.

I am a little south of Salt Lake. So far I haven't been able to fine any local Wicked Lump.

Startin to snow down here, and it is begginning to stick.

Good cookin, Kent
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    Kent,

We don't even have a BGE dealer around here anymore so I've made it a point to pick up several bags of Wicked Good whenever I'm in the Porland, Or. area. And that's usually about once a year. Other than that lump is in a pretty thin supply around here.

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Lucky you are close to Portland.

Walmart should have Royal Oak, Home Depot and Lowes should have Cowboy.

If you have a larger Ace Hardware, they should have some kid of lump.

Sysco down here has some lump but the won't sell unless one purchases at minimum $750 per week. Sysco should be in your area and might sell to individuals.

Kent