Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer Calibration

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pardon my ignorance, but how does one calibrate the dome thermometer?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S11_27_9916_32_02.jpg
    <p />Skwerl X, check out the link - it might help.[p]

[ul][li]Calibrating the Dome Thermometer[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    therm4.jpg
    <p />Skwerl X,
    Here is a picture of me doing 5 dome thermos in boiling water. Remember - Old proverb says: "man with 1 thermometer knows the temperature while a man with 2 is never sure". Actually I said that but it sounds like an old proverb. [p]Boiling water is pretty close to 210-212 depending where you are in the US. Don't let the tips touch the hot bottom - that is the purpose of the paper plate - to hold the tips high off the bottom. [p]The nut on the back of the thermo is not a locking nut! It only turns the dial so don't worry about tightening it. If it starts to turn easily - pitch it since it will go out of calibration if you just turn it sometimes.[p]Tim
    [/b]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Gfw and Tim,[p]Consider me indoctrinated.[p]Thanks a bunch!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    Brilliant idea with the plate. Here I thought you were an "EX" engineer!
    Hee!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]That would be like calling Rube Goldberg an engineer. Maybe that is a good thing - my stuff looks a lot like his.[p]Tim
  • Gordy
    Gordy Posts: 49
    Options
    Skwerl X,
    How's that for forum wisdom. Gfw, come on over to my house, I need two tables/carts. If you have time to make a web site/page for calibration you can build me some Martha Stewart type homes for Humpty. I have the 4 x 4 cedar posts, ceramic tile and wheels. Just need the time or need to make the time. It's on the list but not very high up. Plenty of brewskis in the fridge.

• Unknown
    Options
    Gordy, as usual, you guys are the greatest. I wish everything I was interested in had this kind of support.
    Skwerl