Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jambalaya

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am planning on making jambalaya and the recepie calls for 1 box (32 oz)of uncle bens rice...

my question is how much regular rice would you use? i mean rice takes about the same amount of time as uncle ben needs....

here is the recepie i am going to use with a few modifications ;)

Jambalaya, Poultry, Chef Wil

Real comfort food.Chicken,sausage, and corn jambalaya.

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb smoked sausage ( sliced)
1 lb bite sized chicken meat
1 can rotel tomatoes
2 med. sized onions (chopped)
1 large bell pepper (chopped)
3 ribs celery (chopped)
1 lb frozen corn kernels
1 can chicken broth (Swansons 49.5 oz.)
1 box Uncle Bens rice (32 oz)

Procedure
1 Bring egg to about 600 degrees
2 Brown smoked sausage and chicken
3 Add rotel tomatoes, onions, bell pepper and celery
4 Cook and carmelize the veggies a little.
5 Add corn kernels and cook for about 15 minutes.
6 Add chicken broth and rice and cook until it starts to boil
7 Bring egg down to about 400 degrees and cook for about 20 minutes.
8 I did not cover the pot while it cooked. I did not add salt and pepper because of the sausage, rotel tomatoes, and broth.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
Dutch Oven

Recipe Source
Author: Chef Wil

Source: BGE Forum, Chef Wil, 10/23/03

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Bente,

I would use the same amount and thanks for posting the recipe. I've been wanting to try Jambalaya for some time.

GG
  • BENTE
    Options
    how much is 32 oz is that two cups or what? ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    2 cups in a pint - pint is a pound world around- 16oz in a pint- 32oz in a qt- 4cups in a qt
    thats the only way I can remember
    Gerry
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Terry, you mean to tell me you don't have a kitchen scale? Go get you a nice digital one and make sure it has a tear feature, I use mine all the time, especially for baking. -RP
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    A cup is 8 Fl OZ I believe so 32 FL OZ would be 4 cups

My opinion not to be confused with the truth
    Cajun
  • Tuck
    Tuck Posts: 54
    Options
    I have not cooked Jambalaya on my egg but here's a good Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya recipe for ya'll.

1 pound Andouille sausage, or any lean high-quality smoked pork sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
    1 pound boneless skinless chicken thigh meat
    2 medium onions (or 1 large onion), diced
    2 cloves minced fresh garlic
    1/2 pound tasso, cubed (this is a Louisiana sausage that is loaded with seasoning -- you may need to get this at your specialty meats stores)
    1/2 tablespoon thyme
    1/2 tablespoon basil
    1/2 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1/4 tablespoon red pepper flakes
    21 oz. chicken stock
    10 oz. long-grain rice
    1/2 tablespoon parsley

The most important thing is to use the right equipment and I would suggest the following: a cast iron Dutch oven, I used a 5 qt Dutch Oven.

Use high heat to preheat the Dutch oven and add the sausage. Using a large wooden spoon, constantly move the sausage from the bottom of the pot. Be careful not to burn the meat. (I used good Andouille sausage and it had little fat, however at this point you may want to drain off all of the excess grease to reduce the fat content from the dish.)

Add the thigh meat and brown the chicken on all sides. Again use the spoon to scrape the meat from sticking and burning to the bottom of the pot. Browning the sausage and chicken meats should take 15-20 minutes. Be careful not to over cook the thigh meat to the point that it shreds.

Lower the heat to medium and add the onions and garlic; saute for about 15 minutes or until the onions are very limp and "clear". Scrape the bottom of the pot to remove all the "graton". This is where the jambalaya gets its distinct brown color and taste.

Add the tasso, thyme, basil and black and red pepper. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. This will give the seasonings time to release their oils and flavors.

Add the stock and bring to a rolling boil. Add the rice, reduce the heat to medium and gently break up the rice. Using the long wooden spoon, continue to insure that the rice is not sticking to the bottom of the pot; this is very important!

After about 5 minutes, fold in the parsley. Continue to scrape the pot to insure that no rice sticks to the bottom. When the jambalaya returns to a boil, reduce heat to the lowest possible setting and simmer, covered, for at least 25 minutes. Do NOT remove the cover while the rice is steaming.

While the rice is steaming, the sausage and meat will have a tendency to float to the surface of the jambalaya. Therefore, after the rice has steamed for 25 minutes, use the paddle to gently fold in the meat and seasonings into the cooked rice. This should only be done once or twice, the rice will loose a lot of heat and the rice will break apart.

Note, I do not add salt to my jambalaya. This is because I like to use herbs, tasso and seasonings to satisfy the need for salt. I would suggest having the table set with salt shakers and a selection of hot pepper sauces.
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    For real Jambalaya, don't even think of using Uncle Ben's rice... in Cajun cooking, that is a travesty.

Protrude On
    Cajun
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Bente,

Looks like you got some answers.

I jumped on Google and there are many sites that will make conversions.

Here is one that has a lot of options, weight to mass, US to British and on an on.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/weight

If you decide to buy...

I have picked up a few scales from a guy on eBay. You might look to see what he has and if you like it the following will help you get a good price.

If you like what he has do a search on Google to check prices, then if you go back to bid only bid 1¢ above his opening price. He will also have some links to buy it now for the same thing. Go with the low price opening bid auction, not the buy it now.

He will relist many auctions for the same thing and it is not too hard to pick up an oppening bid auction. His shipping is a bit high but that is where he makes his money not on the opening bid. I have checked out the wholesale prices on some of the scanes and it seems for the most part he opens the auction at his cost or a little under and then as I said his profit is in the shipping & handling.

I had a problem with one of the 75# scales I got from him and he sent me out a replacement part at no cost.

For me the guy has been pretty decient. The seller is digitalsnail but has about 20 to 40 ebay selling names. Go to his ebay store and pick out the scale you want then go ebay and search for that exact item name/model.

If you have any questions let me know, would be more than happy to help.

GG
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks i will have to look into doing that... i have a scale but i think i trust my guess better than i trust it ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    oh well i guess i need to move down there but wife might not like it....LOL

thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks i will have to try that one ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    i forgot that one... thanks ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    yea i do but it is a clunker i may ask for one for christmas :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    i decided to do it on the stovetop :angry:

my dutch oven did not look big enough to handle the job so i had to... thanks for all the responses ;)B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Need a larger DO. ;) Which means a larger EGG to fit it in. :woohoo: Shopping spree. Terrys' buying.
  • BENTE
    Options
    oh hell don't tell the wife :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    bente,
    let me start with an apology for my grumpy mood, long day and the second porter has not hit bottom yet.
    first. regarding 'a pint is a pound' confuses weight with volume, a cup of lead shot does not weigh 8 oz. nor does a cup of wegmans pan searing flour [5.3 0z.] rice is fairly close though, if it is important use a scale.
    second. what kind of rice, regular? instant [precooked]? or 5 minute? they will have different cooking times and absorb different amounts of liquid.
    judging from the recipe any 'regular' rice will do..... the kind that says bring to a simmer for 20 minutes remove from heat rest for 5 and fluff. short grained like sushi and arborio are different as are the brown and wild types.
    more beer now please
    bill
  • BENTE
    Options
    yea i thought about that... what i ended up doing was using 3 1/2 c of rice and just sponned some turkey stock that i had made at christmas time.. it was pretty good i am not cajun so it may have been good for me but some from la would proabably say i needed something.... oh well i am the only one i really have to please.. son ate a corndog and wife smiled politly and said it was good but too spicy... oh well i liked it.. fun to try diffrent things we only ate about ten diffrent dinners at my house growing up (mostly cause that is all my dad would eat) and i am pretty determined to make sure my son and daughter can't say the same thing... who cares if they don't like it at least they will try it before going to the microwave corndogs B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb