Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breaking Bread on a Sunday Afternoon

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Haven't done bread in a while, so mixed some dough up last night and set it up for a 20 hour rise. Baked it tonight - had it for dinner with some red wine - a little personal communion, if you will - I thought it was appropriate.

4-20_noknead_2f_web.jpg

I have to wonder if the disciples had something this good in mind when Jesus said, "I am the bread of life."

4-20_noknead_sliced_1_web.jpg

Happy sabbath.

TRex

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You visiting someone? Thought the condo/apt folks killed the egg at you place, or did you move? Or do we not discuss it?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Thats some good lookin bread. I can't turn water into wine but I'll trade you some fish. :) .
    Pat
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Beautiful Bread..... Sourdough, perhaps ? Looks great. Your Egg tools are great.
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Beautiful Bread..... Sourdough, perhaps ? Looks great. Your Egg tools are great.
  • tn slagamater
    Options
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Good lookin cook. You put the perfect thing on it too.

I know I would regret it but I think I could eat the whole thing in one sitting. :woohoo:
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Nice post, Jason. Bread and wine on this special day is most appropriate.
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    Very nice looking bread! would have gone nicely with the chili last night. Thanks for sharing :);)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!

so i have to ask::::: When is the Bread page going to show up on House Of Faulkner?????

reason i ask is you have been experimenting with it and i know you have some secrets you are not sharing with the group...... and that does not bode well with the whole "CULT" thing.... soooo share with the masses (hope that is not in bad taste with the whole "thing" with cults in the news if so :pinch: )

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Slagman, I don't know if you saw my post on the other forum. Nice to see you around again, Scott
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    God blex....TRex...... since we seem to be on a religious post.....:silly: ....nice idea, what wine did you have with it??......No cheese????? no ham???????.........
  • TRex
    Options
    Hey Richard - no, still in the same apt. Just cooked this bread in the oven - had to improvise and adapt, as one of our fellow posters says.

Cheers,

Jason
  • TRex
    Options
    I'll gladly accept your fish and bring the wine!

cheers,

jason
  • TRex
    Options
    Well, yes and no. This is the simple no-knead bread recipe, using 100% white bread flour - but I do two long rises for a total of at least 20 hours of rise, which does add a sourdough flavor to the bread, albeit not as strong as if you had used a sourdough starter.

Cheers,

Jason
  • TRex
    Options
    You would regret it, Mike. I've eaten I think 5 slices once - I think the second time I cooked this bread - and I felt more than a bit uncomfortable. I usually eat a few slices then take it to work to share - goes bad quickly anyway.

Cheers,

Jason
  • TRex
    Options
    Cheers, my friend. Indeed.

jason
  • TRex
    Options
    You mean like this?

eggchili_3_web.jpg

:woohoo: :ermm:

Goes well with chili indeed, my friend!

Cheers,

jason
  • TRex
    Options
    It's there, buddy, two pages worth:

http://www.houseoffaulkner.com/noknead.html

I made some slight adjustments to the original recipe, but only very slight. It just works so well as is. I have of course experimented with different percentages of whole wheat flour and enjoyed those results too, but not perfected them - the best advice I can give is to use the 1.5 cups of water as a guideline, not a hard measurement. I always start with about 1.25 cups and then just keep adding water until the dough just pulls away from the sides of the mixing bowl into a nice ball. Any more water than that and the dough will be too wet, any less and too dry. This of course affects your ability to form it after the last rise as well as the cooking time, the latter of which is extremely sensitive to water content, I have found. Also, these days, when I bake the bread using the two loaf pans I usually go 35-40 minutes covered followed by 20 minutes uncovered, which gives a total baking time of 5-10 minutes longer than the original recipe calls for, but that's because the surface to volume ratio of the loaf is smaller when using the loaf pans than when using a dutch oven.

So, that's all I know. More to come on the whole wheat varieties - I haven't been completely pleased yet - may try an extra ingredient and see if it improves the rising . . . stay tuned . . .

Cheers,

jason
  • TRex
    Options
    No cheese or ham, my friend. Just warm bread, country-style real butter, and cheap wine (2 buck chuck from Trader Joe's). Simplicity can be so satisfying.

Cheers!

jason
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    thanks i guess i need to look around your site before i go and speak LMAO ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Must have been inspired by either the Pope's visit, or the Dalai Lama lecturing in Michigan... Oh ,yeah! Don't forget Passover! Lotta bases covered today!

As for the bread and wine stuff... goes back thousands of years to the Ancient Egyptians... [although the AEs really preferred beer!]... the Babylonians talked about it, also.

But -- what can I say -- great minds, and all that... We did no-knead at our house too, to go along with the NY strips...

Ciao!

~ B
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    Touche' my friend. It does look great with the chili!! I'll will have to make some soon and post to make you proud B)