Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will BGE crack if it is used often for Grilling ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I was thinking of purchasing a BGE... I was told by a salesperson,that continuous use of the BGE for grilling could cause it to crack(as it is primarily a smoker). Does anyone have any knowledge of this or any advice? Thanks.....

Comments

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Audrey,[p]The BGE can withstand many, many cooks at high temps with no side effects. The ceramics are a special recipe that will hold up to high temps. I have gone to around 800° and have no cracks (knock on wood).[p]However, as with anything, some have had cracks when doing 250° cooks. They just had a unit that whacked out. [p]Not to worry though, BGE will stand behind their unit and replace the cracked portions at no charge (except shipping and handling).[p]These cracks are not pecular to BGE, but to all ceramic cooker/smokers. But you still cannot get a better cooking tool than these ceramic cookers, BGE being my favorite.[p]Hope this helps[p]Cajun
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Audrey,[p]ABSOLUTELY NOT! I think the salesman is either misinformed or getting kick-backs from another grill manufacturer. I venture to say that most people use the egg for grilling (300 degrees or higher) more often than smoking (180-250 degrees). I've had two eggs for over three year and use one or another 2-3 times a week ... never a crack! I think I grill more than smoke, but do both, and its fantastic. I recommend more research![p]Smokey
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Audrey,[p]The salesperson was probably referring to the possibility of the firebox cracking and not the outer green shell of the egg.
    The firebox is the freestanding 'bowl' that sits inside the bottom of the egg and holds the red hot coals during the cook. Over time, the bowl can crack. Like Cajun said, it is covered under the BGE lifetime guarantee.
    I have never heard of the outer body of the egg cracking from grilling. The BGE ceramic body is designed to withstand higher temps than can be achieved with normal loads of lump.
    It's a great cooker for grilling and smoking.... good luck in your decision.[p]WD

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Audrey,
    No, the egg will not crack based upon any type of use that we discuss here in the forum, which is about every kind of use there is. I have never heard of an egg cracking due to high temp cooking. Yeah, the firebox will crack after a time, but that's ok. Almost all of us with cracked fireboxes are using them and have the warrantee replacement firebox on a shelf somewhere, just in case we ever need it. [p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Website[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Audrey,[p]To piggyback on the other comments, firebox cracks are fairly common, but nothing to fret.[p]Many users have told me that they have cracked fireboxes, and had BGE send a replcement (which they will in a heartbeat!)but simply put the new firebox in a safe place in case they ever need it.[p]The cracked fireboxes usually serve their owners very faithfully for many years. I believe it was Tim M who gave me that info.[p]Mine is cracked like an upside "T" and looks pretty gnarly but the grill itself continues to work like a blue ribbon champ. The only caution I can think of is to not attempt to remove a cracked firebox as it may then crumble.[p]Don't let this scare you away though. The BGE is a phenominal cooker and you will wonder why you didn't get one years sooner. Good luck on your decision.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Audrey, the original Kamado cookers (imported from Japan) were clay not ceramic and were not intended for cooking over 400 degrees. Also, after a while (several years) the clay would dry out and cracks could develop. The ceramic material the BGE is made from is designed to withstand a full range of temperatures (200-800 or so) without cracking. [p]That having been said, there are some old clay cookers still around from close to 30 years ago that are still functioning well with no cracks.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />Audrey, if the saleman give you a great price, buy it! Else goto a store where the salesman knows what he it talking about. I use mine at least 4/5 times every week at temperatures ranging from 160-1000! While the firebox is cracked, I think it works better that way. Good luck!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • newsense
    newsense Posts: 32
    Options
    The green shell of my large cracked after about a year's worth of use. I keep it outside and uncovered at all times, although I have built a table to house it. (I live in Michigan, where the weather gets into the 90s in summer and below zero in winter)[p]I first noticed the crack while doing a high temp pizza cook. The dome was reading about 600, and the base was hot enough to turn my lower vent a neat rainbow shade. It also burned the table a little bit.[p]Anyway, the crack was right on the bottom of the egg, starting below the lower vent and running the whole length of the bottom.[p]My dealer replaced the egg, so the problem was pretty painless.[p]Would I buy my first egg....? You bet. Cooking's never been so tasty. Would I buy another egg if the first one cracks after a year....? It would be hard to live without the egg, but I couldn't afford to buy a new one every year.[p]My neighbors, on the other hand, might chip in and buy me one. They get good eats pretty regularly.