Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP Torch Owners

EgginDawg
EgginDawg Posts: 747
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
By no means do I weld so I don't own one yet. That being said I have read that many eggers prefer using a MAPP torch to light their eggs. Is it really worth the money to purchase one vs. using the BGE starters as far as saving some start-up time?

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Use a rolled up paper towel with some veg oil on it and light it under some lump.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    If your goal is TRex in 2 or less min. get the weed burner. If you want to spot light the Mapp is great.
    Pat

this will take me to TRex QUICK but not good for Low & Slow as you can't spot light just burn the hell out of most things in your zip code. :laugh: :evil: :evil: :blush:

100_1570.jpg
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i love mine!!! i don't weld either but the mapp tourch is one of my favorite eggcessories ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Oledog
    Oledog Posts: 118
    A MAPP Gas torch is the way to go; I have used one to light my large BGE for a while and it works very well. Hold the torch on the coals for about 20 seconds in two to three spots and you will have a strong fire in a few minutes.

Oledog
  • EgginDawg
    The reason I'm looking into this is for those nights when everyone gets home later than expected but still want to cook on the BGE. I'm not necessarily looking to TREX in 2 minutes but wanting to get the egg at a good 350-450 quickly. It all boils down to finding EVERY reason to rid my house of the gasser and get the ok from the wife for a table!
    ;)
  • EgginDawg
    That's what I wanted to know..........looks like it's time to buy another eggsessory!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    UGA..there is one thing in their enthusiasm no one mentioned here...when you use a MAPP torch or a weed burner..you are going to generate sparks..there is some moisture in any lump..and when you hit that moisture with high temps from torches or burners..you WILL generate sparks..use safety glasses..also..keep this in mind if you use your egg on a wooden deck...just be careful...
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    I use matches...he he. B)
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Not trying to sway you but they all have their pluses. The weed burner is more a conversation piece unless I work late and want a steak. I have about 6 different ways to light the egg and I guess thats what makes it fun. All depends on the Time & Company.
    Can't go wrong with any of them.

Pat
  • Started with the starter cubes then moved to a MAPP torch. The MAPP is the way to go if you "need it now" but as others have said you pay the price in sparks and a few hot spots on your arms or other places. Lately I have found myself using the starter cubes more than the MAPP. I guess I haven't been in that much of a hurry lately.
    Larry
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i've tried starters, propane, MAPP, witchcraft, and a tiny drizzle of oil on a napkin or two.

fastest is the weedburner, but the napkin gag is still faster than MAPP. i'm at 750 in 12-15 minutes max, and i don't "light in three spots for 30 seconds each" (which is a minute and a half of standing there with my thumb up my b*tt....).

i light them, toss some lump on top, and shut the lid.

go inside, prep the dinner, and i'm at whatever temp i need in under 15 minutes total.

02.jpg

very liittle oil! don't soak it in ooil. just need enough to keep the paper lit. even here is too much
    03.jpg

twist them up

04.jpg

light each end, and pile some lump over it. it will throw more flame than starters and MAPP, and flame is what lights the lump, my friend.

05.jpg

06.jpg

I have a MAPP torch in my basement. i use that to solder pipes, and i use the cheap napkin thing to start my egg.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Mine lasted a year and a half. I think I paid about 30.00. I need to get a new tank. Well worth it.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I know you don't buy cheap olive oil.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    ehehe..u da man stike...PLUS with your method..you GET to play with the FIRE!!! :evil: :woohoo: :evil:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i also don't use the good stuff. (ok. i do. but you don't have to...)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    It is a eye opener when you use the flame thrower (weed burner). I can have my eggs up to temp in 2 or 3 minutes total. Egg well lit and dome closed in about 15 seconds.

Both flame thrower and mapp is sparkey.

Paper towel & oil is great and will get the egg lit and up to temp almost as fast as MAPP.

I like the starters but they will smell when lighting and at times they don't fully burn up before cooking which leaves possible unpleasant flavor in food. Usually there are no problems though

GG
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    I tried all the options mentioned in the forum. Didn't like the starter cubes, starter sticks, oil, or paper towels since they all leave additional ash and some leave residue or fumes too. I tried a MAPP torch, butane torch, and micronox torch which all worked but it was a hassle to stand there holding the torch and I don't want to keep buying gas cylinder refills. I also didn't like the sparks generated by the torch.

So I did a lot of scientific research and testing and found that isopropyl alcohol is the best method. It burns clean and hot with no harmful byproducts, residue, or fumes. I purchased a large 24 oz. bottle of rubbing alcohol (70% isospropyl, rest is water) at Big Lots for $0.75 and a syringe-style meat injector at Walmart for $2.98.

lighter01.jpg

To light the egg you just suck up 1 ounce (30 ml) of fluid into the syringe, insert the tip down into the lump a few inches, and gently squirt about 1/4 of the fluid out. Repeat this in a few other spots until you have emptied the syringe. You can skip the syringe and just pour it directly on to the lump but it is better to get it down in the coals a bit to ensure quicker results. Most pharmacies will give you a free plastic syringe without the needle if you ask and this will work fine too, although I prefer the meat injector the best after all of my testing.

lighter02.jpg

Wait about 20 seconds for the fluid to soak into the lump then light a wooden match and toss it in, close the lid. The egg dome temp will quicky flare up to 400-700 in the first 1-2 minutes while the surface alcohol burns off, then it will settle down to 150-250 for the next few minutes while the lump ignites, then it will be burning at 400 or above in under 10 minutes depending on your vent settings. If you want to reach a higher temp faster then just use a bit more fluid but not more than 2 ounces and don't spray it all over the ceramic parts, keep it in the charcoal.

I have been doing this for a few months now and it works great. The alcohol is cheap (about $0.05 to light the egg) and you don't get any residue, fumes, or toxic byproducts. It is also faster and more convenient than all the other methods that I tested. Try it and see what you think.
  • Really interesting method! I've been using Mapp for a couple of months now but might have to give this a try. The wife thinks I'm nuts for using a blowtorch to light the egg, wait till she sees me injecting lump. :laugh:
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • I have recently moved from the starter cubes to an electric starter.

I have been really pleased with the time to light the lump and it burns much cleaner. Plus, it was
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I own a MAPP torch but I use propane in it for egg starting, it's much cheeper than MAPP and it works just as fast.
  • I, also, use the MAPP torch method and am really happy with the results. I bought the style with the flame nozzle on the end of a hose which helps some in keeping my hand out of the fire. A tank lasts a year or so which is an advantage over starter cubes, etc.. I seemed to always be out of them when I wanted to cook.

Now, my thought about time to cooking temps. I have found the most critical factor is how long it's been since I cleaned out the ash and small lumps. i.e., how good is the air circulation. I expect it would be the same with any method of starting the fire. That is even with stiring the lump to move the ashes down below the grate. It also stirs the small lump pieces into the holes restricting draft. With a just cleaned egg I get to temp pretty fast. If I haven't cleaned it out lately, I have time for more wine/beer, etc. :)

HH
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    I use only MAPP and I'm on my second year with the same $7.00 tank.