Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charred Salsa Recipe

Options
Byrdo
Byrdo Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of trying the recipe below on the BGE this weekend. Has anyone tried charring veggies(actually on purpose)on the grill surface and not in a CI skillet. Let me know what you think. This is the salsa recipe for Chevy’s Tex-Mex started in California.[p]SALSA FROM CHEVY'S
5-6 Ripe tomatoes
1/2 Large onion or 1 med onion
4 Jalapenos
1/3 Cup Chopped cilantro
1 Tsp. Salt (or to taste)
2 Tsp. Pepper
Take the stem out of the tomatoes, and off the peppers. Heat a skillet or frying pan (cast iron works best) and on full flame until very hot, using no oil, so the surface is dry. Throw in tomatoes, peppers, and onion and stir occasionally until the tomatoes are charred on at least three sides. They will actually be burned. At this point you may refrigerate your veggies until you are ready to make the salsa and this is really better cold. When you are ready to make the salsa, pour all items into food processor or blender and process until you have a chunky salsa. You may want to adjust the amount of peppers according to the season of the year. (Summer peppers are hotter than winter peppers.) You may also substitute a different pepper. The Cilantro is the key!!!

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Byrdo,
    Here's another idea I've tried successfully.
    Add a green bell pepper and a red bell pepper.
    Remove the cooking grate.
    Get coals red hot.
    Rub peppers with olive oil to coat.
    Place peppers into coals (yes; right in the coals), rotating occasionally until blackened on all sides. Remove from coals and place in a paper bag or a lidded dish to steam-loosen skin.
    When cool enough to handle, remove from bag/dish and rub with your thumb; charred skin should come right off.
    Seed, stem, dice and add to salsa recipe.
    For extra smokey flavour, do the tomatoes on the grill top. If you use meaty Roma styles, put 'X' mark in the stem end, they should/will not burst open if temp is kept to 250 range or so. Put a little piece of apple (chips would do) in among the coals and the tomatoes will take on some of the smoke thru the skins.
    Remove. Plunge tomatoes into sink filled with ice cold water. Work from the 'X' slice down and skins should slide off relatively easily.
    You could even grill the onion, but I find it better with the fresh crunch left intact.[p]Qfan

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Byrdo,[p]Try this one instead. This looks close to the same, but has directions for blistering the 'mater and japs on the grill.[p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Smokey Jalapeno Salsa [p]6 large Tomato(s)
    10 Jalapeno pepper
    2 Garlic clove(s)
    2 tablespoons Cilantro, chopped
    2 tablespoons White vinegar
    2 teaspoons Salt
    Liquid Smoke, to taste
    1/4 medium Onion(s)[p]PREPARATION:
    Roast the tomatoes(rub with some oil first) and Jalapenos on a grill set at high temp. Put the 'maters on first. After 10 mins. put the Jalapenos on. After another 10 minutes turn all of them over. The 'maters will turn almost black and the skin will start to fall off.
    Let cool and then skin the 'maters and de-stem the Jalapenos.
    Place all ingredients in processor and blend.
    Chill.

• Byrdo
    Byrdo Posts: 36
    Options
    Stogie,[p]This looks really good. I think I will try both of them tomorrow if the weather holds out and I have time. I guess you have tried this recipe and it is good?
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Byrdo,[p]Yes, I have made this one a few hundred times over the years. Actually, I pride myself in that every recipe I post has been tried, most several times. They all pass the test![p]This salsa is designed to be very heavy on the Japs, the 'maters are secondary. I take great care in removing the seeds but leaving the membranes...after all, that is where the heat is, NOT in the seeds.[p]Stogie