Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Huge Ribeye...need help

Crimsongator
Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our butcher had a sale on large, thick cut ribeyes. I think the one I got is 1.8 lbs. Any suggestions on the best way to cook it on the small so it is correctly done. I am afraid I will end up charring most of it to get medium in the middle. Maybe I am worried for nothing.

I was thinking direct at 600 in a stable egg to get the middle temp up faster. I will be using a small egg for this one.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Hot tubbing would work or roast it at 350 or so close to your desired temp then sear. -RP
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I agree with Randy, get the roast up to room temp first. But, I like the sear first then indirect.
    Mike
  • Crimsongator
    If I hot tub it, what do I do. I think I've seen mention of this somewhere before. Do I vac-seal it and then drop in very warm, but not boiling water.

How long to leave it in?
    Do you season it in the vac seal bag?

Any other pertinent thoughts?
  • egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    I did a 3 pounder for my birthday a couple years ago.

Season it up good.
    Use a meat thermometer, you have to treat this like a small prime rib.
    Go ahead and sear that baby on all sides for about 90 seconds each @ 600 or so.
    Pull it out, let it rest while you drop the egg to 275 - 300 or 15 minutes, whichever comes first. Then cook to desired doneness. 127-132 for medium rare is where I like it.

I'll post pics of mine if I can find them later.
  • AZRP
    You don't need to vac seal it, just put it in a large ziplock and squeeze as much air out as you can. Then submerge it in a sink with 100 degree water for an hour adding more hot water to keep the temp at 100. If you have a hot tub and the temp is around 100, there is nothing wrong with putting it in there, you won't have to babysit it with the temps. Then sear it over a very hot grill for about 90 seconds per side, and rest it under foil for 10-15 minutes. -RP
    IMG_0125Small.jpg
    IMG_0128Small.jpg
    IMG_0130Small.jpg
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    just cut it in half to make two steaks.....T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    I do thick "Cowboy" Ribeyes on the Small foir the two of us often.

The one below is a 2" aged Ribeye about 30 ozs.

I usually use the "T-Rex" method you'll see chatted about so often here.

P6280007-1.jpg

I sear at about 650-700 for about 1 1/2-2 minutes per side.

P1010035.jpg

Pull...rest (tented) while your egg comes down to 350-400.

I go back on... starting @ 4 minutes per side for rare/med.rare.(as pictured)

P1010034-2.jpg

For Meduim...I'd start with 5 and 5, and check from there.

good luck, and good eatin!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    heck. my kitchen faucet delivers 145/150 degree water. i've put the steak on with an internal temp of 105/110 before. i supposed i could just let it hit 130, and then run a blowtorch over the outside!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AZRP
    With water that hot, you could just make soup. -RP
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you should be able to get your water over 100, though. that's not hot enough for a decent shower.

if you use hotter water, you'll be up to temp sooner, at least.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AZRP
    The reason I use 100 is that's what the procedure called for in Cook's Illustrated, and the steak comes out perfect med rare. I'm guessing it would be that much more done for every degree higher the internal is after soaking. -RP
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Now that's a beautiful bone in ribeye!

The plate for the cooked steak, however, is a little too busy.

Please, in the future, use a nice plate so as not to distract from the food.

Thank you.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    I'll get right on it!!

Good to see you around...TJV and I were asking bout you the other day!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Crimsongator
    Thanks for all of the suggestions
  • Crimsongator
    I could have bought them cut that size already. I guess it was the challenge that made me buy a half a side of beef at one time B)
  • Herb
    Herb Posts: 28
    i sear mine 650-700 degrees for 4 min per side on the grate at stock hight. then close both top and bottom vents and walk away for 22 mins. after 22 mins the egg is at 300 dome and ribeyes at med rare every time.

Good luck
    Mark
  • mark9765
    mark9765 Posts: 122
    Where do you get your meat? Sounds like a good butcher. Do you know of ant good seafood stores?
    I have a friend that taught me to cook a rib eye @ 400 deg for about 7-9 min on each side for med rare(depending on thickness, I usualy get them about 1 1/2" thick). Since I started doing them this way I have always had a juicy tender steak. Try it sometime .
    Mark