Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help on XL or L

Mahi-Mahi
Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to buy a Egg this week and was measuring my present grill and it looks like I need a XL to stay the same amount of square inches.

Normally I am grilling for up to 10 people. For example half chickens or a lot of brats and pork chops or fish.

I see most people do not recommend the Xl egg.
What will be the biggest disadvantage of owning a Xl egg?

Comments

• Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    I faced the same decision when I bought mine about a month ago. I had been used to a Weber kettle which had the same grate size as the XL. I went into it thinking I would need the XL. After posting the same question and getting some advice, I went with the Large.

I definitely think I made the right choice. With the grill extenders, and just the way the Egg cooks in comparison to a Weber, you can get just as much, if not more capacity out of a large than.

Other things to take into consideration is just how big and heavy these things are, and the extra amount of lump charcoal (not cheap stuff) it will take to fire up an XL. It seems like the vast majority of the long-timers and real Eggsperts on this board are NOT using the XL. In some cases they go with multiples (a large, plus a medium or small).

I hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    from what i understand you can buy a large and a small for the same price... i have a large and a small but i got them 4 years apart... i think you should get a large ten people is not that hard on a large but if money is not a considering factor the large/small combo is pretty popular around here because you can cook diffrent things at diffrent tempratures...

but you can cook for 50 on a large

04-05-2008002.jpg

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I have an XL and like it a lot. Recently I had the opportunity to do a Demo cook at my dealership on a large. The temp was much easier to control on the large and the weight difference is considerable. Had I lurked here a while before buying, I would have probably gone for a large. Will be getting a small somewhere down the road.
  • Well, since you asked, here's my 2 cents.

I see a lot of posts here by people with large, medium, and small eggs showing how to increase capacity. I own an XL and thought that there must be creative ways to use the XL both to increase capacity as well as decrease charcoal usage for small cooks.

I have to admit that I'm greedy when it comes to grill real estate. I never really considered the large because of its grate size. Obviously, many people don't find this to be a problem and indeed prefer the large. I bought a couple of accessories and had a few left over from previous grills and smokers that are gathering dust, so I thought of ways to use them to make the XL versatile and fuel efficient.

Here's the first one. If I just want to do a couple of high-temp steaks, I'll take the old fire ring and grate from my Weber Smokey Mountain and put it in the bottom of my XL filled with charcoal. I put the grate directly over the charcoal ring and let the charcoal get hot. Believe me, you can sear anything with the grate this close to hot lump.

Many people use the TRex method on this site for their steaks. I do it sometimes. The advantage the XL has here is that I don't have to wait for it to come down to temp to finish the steak. I sear the steak on the grate over the fire ring, then I put the regular XL grate on in its regular position and finish the steaks on a part of the grate that is not directly over the ring of lit lump below. It finishes indirect at about 450 without having to wait 15-20 minutes to slow down. During this time, I can also cook more delicate foods on the regular grate that need lower temps. I could also have the cook low temp on the main grate then remove it and finish on my searing grate on the charcoal ring. I could go on and on, there are tons of possibilities with this simple mod and I love it. Here's a pic below:

DSC05006.jpg

If I want to use the main grate at a high temp and cook indirect on the other side of the grill, I just use my half moon raised rack with the drip pan filled with sand and wrapped in foil. It makes one side cook indirect and the other side direct. Here's a pic:

DSC04979.jpg

The thighs were seared then finished indirect. The asparagus was just thrown on the hot side for a couple minutes.

I could go on and on, but the point is that you can use any of the sizes very creatively. If you're a grate hog, like I am, then you can go for the XL and be a little creative in the same way that the users of the smaller grills are with increasing capacity.

Here's a great post that inspired me to experiment:
    http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=410988&catid=1#410988

I don't have temp control issues and portability isn't an issue for me. I have it in a nest and can move it around on my concrete patio with no problem. These ceramic grills aren't the most portable things on the planet. But they are great.

That's my long, drawn out 2 cents.
  • The entire line of BGE are great cookers, each unit has its own learning curve, to say one is better than the other is unfair. If you need grill space then buy god get an XL, I have had mine for the last 2 years and have never regretted my purchase, I have also had the opportunity to cook on a Large, again exellent. As far as lump use contrary to popular comment the XL may burn a slight bit more but certainly not the great amounts that have been reported by the uninformed. As far as weight my XL hasn't moved from its special place since I installed it. Finally the grill real estate that I have is great, this last week end I low and slowed a 12 pound brisket and 3 seven pound pork butts without grill extenders or any added appliance to increase grill capacity.
    FW
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    there is something to be said for shrinking the burn on the xl....

2ndshots025.jpg

I have both xl and large. If you normally cook for 10, then the xl is your best bet. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Nice post - good info. I have also used the half moon in a similar fashion.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I'd go for a large, then a small to augment it (if necessary).

Happy with a LGBGE, Rascal
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    tjv,
    what type of fuel rods are they in the picture??
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Thankyou for the reply it was very helpful, because my wife gives me all this meat and she wants it all at the same time and I never have enough space. For some reason I hate to have different meats drip on each other when you stack meats.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    My wife will only allow one grill in the back yard!
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Thankyou great reply
  • Don't know what the biggest disadvantage would be, but maybe having to start a huge fire whenever you are not cooking for a crowd?

I fought this battle for 1 year, and ended up with a large. Money was not an issue in the decision.

I decided that I liked the design of the large better, and that with multiple layers of grids, i could cook for plenty of people with no problem.

Have had my large for about 3 weeks, and love it, and i am glad I did not buy the XL.

Good luck and let us know which way you go.

jeff
  • Sounds like you already made up your mind, you just haven't realized it yet.......

jeff
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Tom,
    What kind of lump is that you are using? I've never seen it.
    Thanks
    Hammer
  • Hammer
    I have two larges and two xl's. I personally prefer the XL because of the grid space, and the capability of cooking for a large group if necessary; but I can just as easily cook for two.
    Yes, it's a big cooker; requires more lump; etc. In the past it has been limited in versatility; but with new innovations from folks like tjv, and the mothership, the XL is coming into its own.
    I am currently testing some new things for the XL that will even further enhance the eggsperience for that size.
    Either way; Large or the XL, you can't go wrong!
    Hammer
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    I'll jump in Mitch!

He's burnin' some old Kamado "Coconut Extruded" Lump!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Hammer
    Thanks Chub! I've never seen it; so I wanted to know. I've heard alot of good things about it however. Wonder where I could get some?
    Mitch
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    As Chubby said, it's extruded Kamado coconut. I too heard some good things and was curious, so bought 10 boxes off a DFW pallet delivery. I have eight boxes left that I'll give ya. Forget burning the coconut, you'd have better luck burnig with the box. Extruded coconut can be good, just not this crap batch.

T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Now Tom...!!!

Tell him what you reeeeally think!!

LMAO!!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I was just looking at tjv's site The accessories sure put a different perspective for me on getting a XL or recomending a Large rather than an XL.

GG
  • I have an XL and a Medium. I'm sure by Christmas I'll have every size from Mini to XL :whistle:

I like the XL size but the place setter on the XL is the weak link. The legs on the XL place setter are as long as the pizza stone is thick. The Large and Medium place setters that I've used have legs long enough to use a disposable aluminum half pan as a drip pan.

If I had it to do again I'd get two Larges in one table. I think that setup is far more versatile than the XL, has better place setters and if you buy demo eggs about the same price as an XL.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    I have a large, and for me, it is not grilling space but having more grilling space at different temps.

I really want to add a small to our large.

Greg
  • Hammer
    T,
    If a person with your expertise say's it's not what it's cracked up to be; I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the offer anyway!
    Mitch
  • Hammer
    I agree with you about the plate setter. It needs work.
    I fully believe that the XL is a work in progress. There has been many positive improvements in the design; spring assisted bands; dome; etc; and it is only a matter of time before the platesetter will be re-designed to allow more room.
    tjv has made several things that have helped the eggsperience of the XL now that he has one.
    Hammer
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Greg,

If you don't need more grill space than the large has then for you it would be a better choice to add a medium or small. That's the route I went.

I couldn't decide which, M or S so I ended up with both. It is nice to have different temps available if needed.

GG