Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Gasket

Options
Dale
Dale Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just burned up my third gasket, in only 3 months or so. I can't seem to use the egg anywhere north of 500 degree dome temp. I even used some 3M spray adhesive this last time, but it still let go with the heat.

Any advice out there?

Dale

Comments

• Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    I called the mothership late 2 Fridays ago about the new gasket. ( $25 to get it shipped ) I was going to call back when I got to a land line to use my credit card, but I cooked all weekend with no gasket and seems to be working fine. Just remeber to let the lid down slow.
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    i second that one.......it is mostly there for protection mine leaks bad but it holds temp!!
    023.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the 3M only sticks it to the rim. is it falling off? ..or is it literally 'toasted' (burnt)?

the gasket shouldn't burn at 500, since the wool felt itself won't 'toast' unless it hits 1100. if that's happening at 500 degreees, then your dome might have a gap or be misaligned (allowing hot gasses to directly contact the gasket). is it happening in the same spot all the time?

if it's a question of the gasket just loosening, then it's an adhesive issue. i don't think BGE offers anything beyond the 3m, but it works for the vast majority of people. i used a silicone automotive gasket sealant (copper/silicone) . the stuff won't, i'm afraid, ever come off.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Dale
    Options
    First the adhesive lets go, then wth a gap for the hot air to escape, the gasket starts to toast.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Yea the gasket should not be frying at 500, is the thermometer calibrated, you may be higher than you think. I have been running fine without one for a few years now.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    call the mothership on mlonday and order a new nomex gasket.... works like a charm

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Double Bogey
    Options
    My gasket has been toast for over two year now and I see very little difference in the way it cooks. Only minimal loss of seal. I ordered a Rutland kit from RPR several months ago but as of now it is still in the box.
    Larry
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    The egg was most likely not put together correctly. If this is the case you will never stop having this issue until it is adjusted. One of the dealers in Memphis will sell an egg unassembled, but they strongly advise letting them set it up. They only charge 25 dollars so they are not really making any money, but it's cheap insurance that prevents them from making unnecessary service calls.
  • Dale
    Options
    I have actually re adjusted it many times, and there are no leaks, which you can see from the inner discoloration on the gasket. My theory is that: This always happens with the plate setter, and very high heat, like for pizza. I put a LOT of charcoal on the bottom, so we can cook all evening, for a crow. I can see looking through the opening on top, flames coming up the sides, well past the gasket area. Perhaps I am putting way too much charcoal for this usage???
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind I saw post to do 5 or 10 cooks at 500 or below. to seat the gasket when you start using ur egg....so far that has worked for me. Have cooked Steaks and Burgers with no problems...Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • Dale
    Options
    Yep, so have I, but that was direct. This happens only with plate setter.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I would contact John at head quarters in ATL and talk with him.