Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new gasket problem

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I installed a new nomex gasket a couple of months ago and after some initial problems with the adhesive during the first couple of cooks (slippage), things seemed to be going pretty well. Last night I did a couple of pizzas and get the dome temp up to ~600 degrees and about 15 minutes into the cook, I opened the lid to take one of the pizza's out and the top gasket had come completely loose and acutally fell onto the pizza and stone. The wierd thing was that the plastic backing (the double sided tape that is attached to the back of the gasket) was still attached to the lid. The gasket had actually come loose from the backing. I peeled the backing off of the lid very easily and finished my cook, making sure to keep the lid open so that it wouldn't seal shut once it cooled.

Has anyone has similar issues? I think I might have just got a defective gasket so I'm going to call the mothership, but wanted to know if this is common. Thanks.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I don't think the the problem is very wide spread with the Nomex. With that said there are not all that many Nomex gaskets out there either.

Some folks have been testing the Nomex and for them it is working great. I have heard of one or tow folks that the adhesive has failed.

It is best to contact HQ regarding your specific problem. When I talked to BGE about my Nomex it was suggested to use 3M 77 adhesive.

Some forum members have suggested using high temp auto silicone for adhesive on any of the gaskets.

Let us all know what you are instructed to do once you call BGE.

GG
  • BBQonJ
    BBQonJ Posts: 60
    Options
    I don't pretend to be an authority but was interested in the temp rating of 3M 77 adhesive and checked out the 3m website. This stuff is shown with tech data up to 120 deg. The Rutland type 77 stove cement is advertised for 2000 deg. Wouldn't that be a better match.

Dave
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I experienced the same problem you described. I used some 3M 77 adhesive to reattach the gasket and haven't had a failure yet. Just clean the surface where the gasket separated and apply a little 77 to the bare spots allow it to tack up and reattach. You might want to cover anything you don't want coated. Overspray will get everywhere.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i had a small problem with mine for about 1/10 of a second i think i have figured out why.. i think when i installed my second one (first one left because of a cracked base) i think i pulled it too tight during installation.. here is what happened

gasket021608003.jpg

i pulled it away from the egg and scraped it with a putty scraper to clean up the rim i sprayed super 77 adhesive on the rim and placed gasket back on the rim, shut the egg, and fired up 24 hours later...... about a week after i had done mine my friend did the same thing to his i went over with a putty scraper and my trusty super 77 and his is all better..... he told me that he had pulled it too tight during installation.... so maybe :unsure: that happened to you.... but no worries with some super 77 and a putty scraper all will be well..... although i have not heard of the top doing that until now.......

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• just so I make sure I understand, you took the gasket that came off that no longer had the adhesive backing and reattached it using super 77? Sounds like it would work, but just wanted to make sure. thanks.
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    I had the same problem. The adhesive to the Nomex gasket is a joke!! I was VERY DISAPPOINTED!! I had to go back and use Gorilla Glue to fix the gasket. I did the prep correctly, too and still had to go back and fix the problem. If I have any more problems I am going to get rid of it and replace it with a Rutland gasket.

John
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your problem. I have been using the Nomex for over a year. I've had no problems with it, and the tests were positive.
    I am aware of several folks saying that they have experienced problems with the adhesive, including Bente in this thread. The problem for the most part has been corrected. The mothership advises using the 3M77 as others have stated in this thread.
    If your problem persists; you should contact John Creel at 770-938-9394 at the mothership.
    Hammer
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Yep. That's it. Mine didn't come off all the way around. About half of it was stuck very well. I simply pealed back the loose piece and applied the 77 to it. Hardest part was to remove the "old" glue stuck to the egg. The backing just peeled off, leaving a thin layer of glue. Used the 3M Paint stripper chucked up in my cordless, and a little acetone on a rag. There is a photo of the 3M stripper on the Whiz's site. It is the one used by RRP in his gasket replacement tutorial.
  • Hammer
    Options
    I respectfully disagree with you in that the Nomex gasket is a joke. I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the gasket; but I have had no problems with it.
    If you want to switch to the Rutland, please do; however I would advise that you contact Rutland and ask what they think of you using their gasket on the BGE or using it around preperation of food.
    They advise against it; I know; I called them. No, as I've said before, the Nomex isn't perfect,and it's not the be all; end all; but I've had no problems.
    Hammer
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Good advice from Mike on cover anything you don't want sprayed with the 3M 77. Changed my gasket today and I masked the area off good before spraying.

101_2459640x480.jpg
  • Hammer
    Options
    Looks like a good job! In testing the Nomex for over a year; I have used many different configurations on preparing the rims for the gasket; but your's take it a step forward.
    Thanks for the pic!
    Hammer
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    So far I have only used the adhesive which is on the gasket material.

Member Hammer has been testing the Nomex for BGE for a couple of years now. Possibly he will jump in with actual testing info or you can ping him. Ops, I just saw hammer has some posts below.

From the specs you show above the Rutland adhesive looks stronger.

I wouldn't want to use an adhesive that has to be dug or chizled off of the dome or base.

GG
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Couldn't Pass up this opportunity when I saw your post with the Geaux Tigers signature. I went to the LSU-Auburn game last year. Heard a lot about how piXX poor the LSU fans were towards visiting fans.

Just wanted to let you know that I and my group of AU fans were treated absolutely great by the LSU fans we met. They shared thier Brewski's and food with us and we had a great time in Baton Rouge. Don't want to make this a football Blog...and I'm still not happy about losing that game. Next time we play each other you and yours are wecome to come to our tailgate.

Bob Alex City Al.

Opelika, Alabama
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    To be fair to BGE, the instructions for the nomex gasket state that it is very important to clean the rim thouroughly, apply acetone and let it dry, then apply the gasket without stretching. They also recommend using an additional spray adhesive and letting it set for 24 hours. For those of you that had gasket failures: did you follow this process exactly?

I just got done installing my nomex gasket and it went on without a problem. Here is the process that I used:
    [ol][li]removed the old gasket and scraped the remaining felt off the rim with a putty knife[/li]
    [li]sanded the rim with an orbital hand sander and 100 grit paper to clean all the old adhesive and BBQ gunk off the rim (pressed very lightly and just let the sander ride flush across the rim for about 5 minutes)[/li]
    [li]repaired a few small chips in the rim with JB Weld Stick and let the epoxy harden for 24 hours[/li]
    [li]wiped the rim down good with rubbing alcohol and a clean rag (didn't have acetone on hand), made about 6 passes until the rag came away clean[/li]
    [li]let it sit for 3 hours to allow the rubbing alcohol to evaporate and the rim to dry[/li]
    [li]applied a thin coat of Duco Cement to the rim and let it set up for 15 minutes - most of the cement was absorbed into the rim but it left a really sticky surface for the gasket to grab on to[/li]
    [li]carefully routed the gasket around the rim, pulling with firm but gentle pressure, just enough so that it would curve and stay aligned with the inside edge of the egg[/li]
    [li]closed the lid and let it sit for 24 hours while the adhesive set up[/li][/ol]The gasket grabbed so well that I was not able to pull it back up easily once it was laid down. The exterior edges of the gasket even stuck to the spring band rim in a few spots and it was tough to pull loose so I think I have a pretty good seal. My guess would be that the prep work is critical so take your time and do it right.
  • Hammer
    Options
    Good process and instructions. A couple of things you might want to try in the future.
    1. Put acetone on the old gasket; it will strip the old gasket quickly.
    2. Use a Mapp torch on the rims to burn off/remove any residual adhesive as well as to evaporate any residual Acetone.
    3. Clean the rims with alcohol; let dry
    4. Apply an adhesive if you want to; I haven't so far had to use any in all my tests with the Nomex

Thanks!
    Hammer
  • BENTE
    Options
    where the heck have you been..... MIA????

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hammer
    Options
    T,
    Thanks! I've kept up with all that has been happening on the forum, but was tied up in a Congressional race as well as trying to keep up with the legislature in the closing days of this session.
    But, John has sent me some new things to test; so I've begun to put the testing hat on again. I'm really excited about several of them;if they prove out; they will really help the eggsperience even more.
    Thanks again, and stay in touch!
    Mitch
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Mightyfine

Tailgating in Baton Rouge is more of a science or art just as it is at many other colleges around the nation. No doubt there are some "fanatics" in Baton Rouge that I don't want to be around, but most will invite you in to break bread and party.
  • BENTE
    Options
    send me some i am always interested in "Testing" :evil: :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb