Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

your opinions on 7lb brisket w/o fat cap needed

Options
citychicken
citychicken Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my girlfriend picked up a 7lb costco cryo brisket for a gathering we are having this weekend. it's a choice cut large flat, fat cap and point trimmed away, but with good marbling throughout and very even thickness.

since the fat cap has been completely trimmed away will this make for a dry brisket? any thoughts on the best way to egg this?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    this is how i am going to do my next flat:

Beef, Brisket, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome

1 If you don't want to stay up all night (or get up to check it every few hours- unless you have a guru), try the "five hour" method.
    2 Night before, coat your brisket heavily with sugar (white is ok here as it will all melt into the brisket). In the morning, rub your brisket with whatever rub you want to use (dizzy cowlick is a great choice as are drbbq's recipes).
    3 Put the brisket in BGE with plenty of smoke at 250°F. dome temperature for 2 hours.. .. . After 2 hours, remove the brisket, wrap it tight in a couple layers of foil, and put back in the BGE for 3 more hours at 350°F dome temperature ( or until it hits 195°-200°F internal temperature-- depending on size it may take even less than the additional 3 hours... remove it from the BGE, leave it foiled and wrapped in towels for a couple of more hours if possible (not necessary,but I find that it helps)
    4 Slice and serve. Save the juices from the foil. They are terrific served over the sliced meat.
    5 Thia method will not turn your brisket to pot roast, although the texture is slightly different than a brisket that has been smoked all night long, and the 2 hours in the smoke will give you plenty of smoked flavor.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Mad Max Beyond Eggdome

Source: BGE Forum, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome, 11/04/05

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Iv'e tried this method with limited success. It seemed to push the brisket too fast and it was a bit tough.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Be sure to mark which way the graing of the meat is going (I usually make a small slice about 1" from and end) This way you will be able to slice across the grain when done. Cook that sucker at 250 until it hits 190. Pull it and put heavy foil. Wrap in towels and hold in a cooler for about 2 hours. It will be just fine. It will probably take a bit less to cook than the same weight in a whole brisket, due to width. Many folks will tell you to put the fat down and some say fat up. I don't care what you do, both have made good briskets for me.

While it is cooking, open the dome and spray it often to keep it moist. Just be quick so the temp of the egg doesn't jump higher. If you can cook a butt above it and let those juices fall on it, it will be even moister.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive had good luck cooking them under a pork butt on a raised grill.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I do one or the other with that flat.

1. Smoke it as usual except flip a couple times during the cook and wrap in foil when coming out of the plateau stage. I'd make sure the indirect piece is way bigger than the flat with tiered set-up - stone, couple inches space, pan. couple inches space, grid. Kinda a man-made fat cap.

2. cut in smaller sections, freeze and then grind when needed for hamburger. Sounds like a great piece for burgers or meat loaf. Then go back and buy one with a fat cap, only talking $20 or so.

Wonder if you girl friend picked a flat prepped for pastrami or corned beef making......
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv
    Options
    butt or brisket above helps with basting but can play a bit with bark formation on the lower piece. I still like it!

120_2088.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    once its all sliced up, no ones going to know the difference, and then you get all that pork to serve and or freeze, you wont get any complaints.

2005012055.jpg

5a1453bd.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tjv
    Options
    very nice, T
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    thanks for the info. i think i will do the butt over the briskett.

btw, tjv mentioned using briskett for burgers. i suppose you grind it then form in patty and cook it up like a regular burger? could you expand your thoughts on this one? please. specifically a recipe.
  • tjv
    Options
    Yes just grind it. Several folks around here have the griding attachment to the kitchenaid mixer. Works well for home use. Then, it's just your favorite hambuger method...

grinder.jpg