Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newest egg addict needs bbq sauce

Options
GigEmEggs
GigEmEggs Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i bought my first bge (large) last week and am already addicted. Menus have included pork tenderloin, steaks, brisket, sausage, pineapple, and some chicken this morning at 7am. Daybreak eggers unite!
Anyway, i live in north texas and can't find any bbq sauce to my liking, which equals usually ketchup based with a sweet start and a fiery finish. Any ideas for something i should try? Maybe doctoring up a store brand sauce?
Thanks for your replies!

Comments

• Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    Just got a large last week. We enjoy combining one bottle K.C. Masterpiece, one bottle of sweet and sour, and one bottle of molasses.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Go to the "Ugly brothers" website. They have a killer raspberry/chipotle recipe that is easy and I bet you would like it. Its won contests and its under the sauces recipes on their site. Do a Google for it, its worth it!.
    HTH,
    Ron.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Hear is my recipe. I like bold, strong flavor and this does it. I tend to "dump" things so this is approx. Take one bottle thick store bought bbq sause such as Kraft or KC Master and dump 1/2 of it out. To the 1/2 empty part of bottle add 1/3 or a tad more of volume with honey. Add 1 1/2 oz Wild Turkey, 1 oz white viniger, 8 good "glugs" Tobassaco, two pinches tarragon, and one teaspoon powder garlic. Shake well. More honey for sweeter taste, more Tobassaco for hotter taste. Call it Turkey Honey sause.
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    I got this one from BENTE a while back and I really like it. Its a big hit whenever I serve it with ribs or pulled pork. You can adjust the heat to achieve the fiery finish you want.

Bente’s BBQ Sauce from the Big Green Egg Forum

INGREDIENTS:
    Mix in big pot over low heat :
    1/6 cup salt
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 Cup, Heaping Packed brown sugar
    1 cup beef bullion strong
    6 cups cold water
    When sugars dissolve, add :
    1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right.
    1 cup Worcestershire
    2 cups (16oz) tomato paste, or 3-6 ozs cans paste
    Kitchen Bouquet to darken (Optional, don't worry if you don't have this)
    Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Dave’s, whatever to add heat.
    Hatch ground chile is my favorite.

Procedure:
    1 Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken.
    :
    HOW MUCH CHILE POWDER TO ADD?..
    .It's impossible to tell- some chile powder is as really hot , some is not, and some folks like really HOT sauce, some can't handle it. But I think you can find out quickly..... if it's HOT, just add so much (1/4 cup?) at a time, and then taste.

HOW LONG TO COOK?
    I watched a friend make this weekend, and he got confused. He didn't cook it enough. You need to simmer, so it's bubbling at, gosh how shall I say it... a low to medium rate, for 2 hours. Stove set at 2/3 the distance between low and medium. It will lose about 1/3 of its volume, and get darker and thicker. When it's done, it's not thin like it started out, and it's not paste. Stir occasionally, but I've never had it stick. If it's getting sauce on your stove as it cooks, you probably have it on too high!

Yield: This is a "1/2" recipe, and makes 2 quarts
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    First of all congrats on the new egg. I feel your pain, I've only had mine about a month and a half and I can't hardly take my mind off the darn thing. I've spent most of the day on this forum today. (It's just not good for a man to be left alone).

As far as sauce goes...good luck. I'm pretty particular about it. My opinion is that if your meat is that good, you don't need much in the way of sauce. I don't like it too sweet or too burnt tasting. I've tried to get one of our local BBQ joints to let me in on their secret but guess what...it's a secret :blink:

Send some pics when you get a chance.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i cannot take credit for that one here is the original link Wild Boar BBQ Sauce

but i can sing it's praises..... it is very good ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Pork N Stein
    Options
    I've been using Sweet Baby Ray's lately (mostly for the family, I don't use sauce much personally), its pretty good for a purchased sauce and relatively easy to find around here
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    We just discovered Sweet Baby Ray at our daughters in Waco. Wife picked some up at Brookshires and have been using it ever since and KC Masterpiece is sitting in the cupboard.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    JLochart's sounds good- I'm a try that!

I like Sweet Baby Ray's, especially on chicken. From what you described in your post, it won't fill your need for firey ending. Maybe experiment with adding some tabasco.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Ugly Brothers as recommended by ChefRD is good for sweet with back end heat. I make Tony Roma's sauces now and then. The blue ridge smokey mountain has simple ingredients, is easy to make and can be modified for sweetness or heat.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/291/Tony-Romas-Blue-Ridge-Smoky-B74583.shtml

T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.