Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got my first BGE. (Finally!)

authentic
authentic Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After more than five years of having a BGE dealer, who happened to be my good friends dad, in the area, I decided to purchase a Large BGE. It was a little bit of a strain on my finances being as i'm 22 and married (wonderful haha), but I made it happen. I built a table in anticipation way ahead of time, and then waiting the longest week of my life for my egg to arrive.

DSCN1206.jpg

My table contains a homage to my Saints, in preparation for many sundays to come...

DSCN1207.jpg

DSCN1208.jpg

He keeps me company while I cook...

DSCN1209.jpg

I have only cooked once so far on my new BGE, chicken parts, NY strips, and sausage.

All came out fantastic much to the surprise of the "that things weird lookin' " crowd. I'll win them over yet... :laugh: :evil:

Great to be here! Hope to learn alot, share alot, and give alot.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Well welcome aboard and don't be afraid to ask questions. -RP
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    awesome authentic!!...nice pix and table..not to mention the dog! ;) ...welcome to the community and many good cooks in your future!! B)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Congratulations and welcome to the board. I wish I got my first egg when I was a young-whipper-snapper.

GG
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Welcome,,,, Very nice table & Buddy say's Hi & make sure you share the scraps.
    Pat

100_1502.jpg
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    Congratulations on your purchase. It will last you a lifetime. I'm a big Saints fan myself and live in Gulfport MS. I'm betting you're from down near here as well.

Terry
  • authentic
    I'm in Biloxi. Have been all my (albeit short) life. Good to make your acquaintance.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    beautiful area..I was stationed at Keesler when I was in the AF many more years ago than you are years old :blink: :blink:
  • authentic
    Haha yeah. Its pretty okay. I sell Electrical supplies to the guys on Keesler daily.
  • figgie
    figgie Posts: 15
    welcome, I just got my Egg last Saturday

Figgie
  • authentic
    Congrats. Which did you get?? Table or Nest? Any Eggcessories?
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    So you bought your BGE from George over at Grate Grills & More? A fine man for sure. I've met his son. Actually, his son brought my Weber gasser out and set it up for me about a year ago. Nice young man.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Welcome!

===

Factoid: The Lewis & Clark expedition [Corps of Discovery], 1803-05... Will all they had to eat [bear, elk, deer, horse...] --

-- their favorite meal was dog.

My Springer knows to hide when I light up the Egg!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Congrats, nice table, very unique. I've been tryin to come up with an idea for a table, unfortunately I think it will end up costing as much as the egg. :silly:

JoJo
  • authentic
    Grillin Guy wrote:
    So you bought your BGE from George over at Grate Grills & More? A fine man for sure. I've met his son. Actually, his son brought my Weber gasser out and set it up for me about a year ago. Nice young man.

Yes, I did. I was convinced back when he had his old store in Biloxi. He used to cookout in front of the store on the BGE. Ive known his sons since they moved here from Buffalo, NY way back when.
  • Nice Table - I don't know too many 22 year olds that would have tackled that project. Saints fan here too.

Looks like you are red hot on the bottom and getting ready to sear something.

Bon Appetit
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Welcome! Table looks great. Our numbers here on the coast are growing. Long Beach here.
    Bob
  • Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ross
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Congrats on a well thought out plan! Glad to have you cooking with us!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Personally I can't stand the Egg.. I am stuck with the six I own till something better comes up... :laugh:

What is Dr. BBQ fond of saying? ohhh yeah "I waited till they worked all the bugs out of it"

Seriously Welcome to the cult.. Yes it is a cult. :woohoo:

As Randy said Ask Questions. We may bite from time to time, but it won't hurt much.. Just don't ping Wess. He gets real grumpy seeing pings and even grumpier with his name after the Ping.. :whistle: If you wave a bottle of Crown in front of him he'll calm right down. :silly:

Now get on over to the BGE website and keep an eye out for a Eggfest near you and for the Eggtoberfest.

NOTICE: Parts of this messages are absolutely false. Any resemblance to actual persons, places or events is absolutely intentional.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    EXCELLANT LOOKING SET UP! It hasn't been that many years ago when we were just starting out and money was real tight. Heck its still tight :P but now its more a matter of priortising it. Lots of folks leave theirs uncovered but with a set up like yours and where you live if you keep the steel dry it will look great for years to come. Don't be shy on pics. We love pics. Don't let the dog get fat off the Egg. It's not good for him! ;)
  • Welcome, great set up! Let's see, so you have a couple weeks to get your cook together for the NFL draft. A few months to practice for the NFL (College Football) season. :laugh:
    There is nothing better than spending Sundays with your BGE & watching NFL.
    Again welcome to the cult!!!
    I don't think you will have any problems with the "that looks funny" crowd. My crowd turned into leaches who always seem to know when I've got the Egg fired up. ;)
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i am jealous. when i think of the 3o+ years i spent cooking on briquettes and gas. wish i had started eggin when i was your age. nice table, too.
    bill
  • authentic
    Thanks for all the well wishes. I wanted one when I was 18, but i had nowhere to put it. I'm just completely happy I didnt settle and get something else, or a smaller egg. Maybe someday soon we'll have enough numbers around here to have a Gulf Coast Eggfest?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Welcome to the forums and eggdom.

Like bill so wisely said, I wish I knew the magic of the egg many years ago (and several cookers ago). I started egging in my early 30s.

I would weigh your dog now, and a year from now. My dogs all follow my like I'm the pied piper whenever I am prepping, checking food, opening the egg, pulling pork, slicing lunch meat, and eating dinner. They all had to be put on diets about six months ago. Doggies love the egg droppings.

And your remark about Sundays is dead one. During football season I am doing wings, ABTs, fatties, and all kinds of other finger foods every Saturday and Sunday. I still haven't figured out what I am doing for Masters Sunday though,

You are going to realize in short order what a great decision the egg was.
  • axpro
    axpro Posts: 50
    Welcome welcome... I got my egg last summer, but had to wait until LAST MONTH to use it, as my wife and i were in a condo with no balcony... (a sale we had set up ended up falling through) The only advice i can give is to make sure the top fits nicely.... and fin a good lump and BUY LOTS! It's kinda funny, I figured i'd go through it pretty slow, and have ended up using way more than i figured...

Eggin is awesome... if i had one when i was 22 I would have eaten good BBQ earlier!!!
  • authentic
    I can't wait for football season. Theres an upside this year, if my Saints don't win, at least i'll have delicious food as a consolation. I see many pounds being added to my frame per game. :S OH MY :woohoo:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Welcome to the family...I love the table you made...however you may want to put egg feet or something on your paver to lift the BGE off of it. The heat may cause the paver to crack. I have copper T's holding my egg up....

other than that...HAPPY EGGING :laugh:
  • authentic
    good idea about the feet, will do.
  • Love the tile top on your table! How many hours do you have in it? I'm contemplating a table for my large and would like to do tile, but have absolutely no experience doing it. Did you use plywood underneath it or a cement backerboard etc? Also, how did you do the cutout around the egg (does it just have layer of mastik or grout etc?) Sorry for all the questions, the woodworking aspect of it is not problem, but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to tile work.

Thanks!
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX