Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg table in the works

Options
thillin
thillin Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a kitchen island I want to make into an egg table. It's 2" thick butcher block on top. Any sugestions how to cut the hole? What's the best way to make a really good circle cut?

Thanks
Ty

Comments

• James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    A point to note - I have a butcher block (from a UK butcher) but there are threaded rods that run through it to keep the individual pieces of wood together - you don't want to be sawing through those. I guess you'll be OK if they are bonded together.
    Take a look at The Naked Whiz's site.
    Look after Episode 5 and at Episode 11
  • thillin
    Options
    Thanks, I can draw the circle and make a template, but was looking as to what to cut the butcher block with. I think a few passes with the router might work.
  • Pork N Stein
    Options
    I think I'd hold off on the router idea until you know for sure if there is threaded rod running through it. You might be able to run a strong magnet across the top as a test. A high speed router bit hitting metal rod is not a pretty picture.
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • thillin
    Options
    Talking with some guys from Home Depot, I think I'll give it a go with a jig saw. It's storming here in DFW so I'll give it a go the next couple of days.

ty