Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tofu on the Egg?

Options
Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know, it sounds crazy -- but I'm battling the waistline, and ribs aren't helping. Damn, they are GOOD though![p]Anyone tried tofu on the BGE?[p]Thanks![p]B~F

Comments

• Pig Picker
    Pig Picker Posts: 28
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p]I've smoked extra firm tofu with the same method I use for making jerky. [p]First take your block(s) of tofu and slice it into 1/4 inch thick slices. Then lay out paper towels and place the tofu slices on it in a single layer. Put another layer of paper towels on top and weight it down, I use a couple heavy frying pans. Let the towels soak up some of the water from the tofu for 30 minutes. This process will prepare the tofu to take in more of your favorite jerky marinade.[p]Let the tofu marinate overnight and pat it dry before placing it on the EGG. I've never let mine go to the point where it has the texture of jerky but it may be possible. I normally let it go at 180* for 2 - 3 hours with Hickory wood smoke.[p]Smoky tofu is excellent in any dish that smoked meats would be good in. I've used it in miso soup, omelets, stir frys and sandwiches.[p]One hint when working with tofu is if it's been frozen and unthawed it's texture will be changed. Firm tofu will take on a mushroom like texture. This trick is good for your everyday uses of tofu since you can keep presliced pieces in the freezer. Plus I like texture of the resulting product. I don't recommend freezing soft tofu since you would want to keep it's creamy texture. I haven't smoked any tofu since I learned this little trick so I'm unsure of what the resulting product would be like.[p]PP[p]
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Pig Picker,[p]Thanks for the wonderful advice! I'll keep you posted as my tofu adventure begins.

• Pig Picker
    Pig Picker Posts: 28
    Options
    Brent,[p]If you change the water you keep it in whenever you use it, it should last easily a week. If longer just slice and freeze.[p]PP