Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken temps? (repost)

Options
Basselope
Basselope Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
[I'm reposting this because I picked a thread tittle that was already getting a lot of traffic, and mine got lost in the shuffle]
I went to do some chicken cut up chicken breasts on the egg tonight. Ran about 300 dome, direct and turned them as needed. I went to check with the Polder and what looked cooked came out way low on the temp scale. I kept them on until 165 and pulled them then. The meat was not terribly juicy and borderline dry. Back pre-polder I would have pulled these suckers about 5-8 minutes before I did. Yes I have checked my Polder and it is accurate (at 212 anyway)
So my questions are:
1. What internal temp do you guys cook chicken to?
2. What temp is necessary to kill salmonella?
3. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Basselope,
    Chicken/Turkey
    Cook at 350º indirect (drip pan) with 20 min per pd as a rule of thumb with 160-170º for the breast meat or 180º for the thigh.
    Hope this helps

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Basselope, I cook my chicken pieces at about 325-350 to about 175 or 180 internal. I never have had an issue with them being dry on the BGE. (You do have the dome down the entire time do you not?) As for salmonella, it is destroyed by cooking at temperatures above 150. However,m the best approach for avoiding salmonella problems is to make sure the chicken is stored properly - below 40 degrees. Hope this helps.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Basselope,[p]Today I cooked 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts over direct heat at 320 for a bit over 30 minutes, until the internal temp was darn near 170. I bought the breasts at 12:30pm and they were on the grill at 1pm. The only prep to them I did was to sprinkle on my normal rub (no brine). After the internal temp was 110 I flipped them, and began mopping with KC Masterpiece (I know...but I only had a little left, and I wanted to use it up). At an internal temp of 155, they got a second flip, and a second mop. 5 minutes later they were removed. (Note: after the second flip, I didn't re-insert the probe, so I can't be sure of the final temp, but given the rate of temp progression that felt like enough time.)[p]When cooking chicken or turkey breast, I shoot for an internal temp between 165 and 170. Alton Brown suggests temps as low as 162, but I'll sacrifice potentially drier meat for a bit more safety. Alton has to cook in a food dehydrator (ooops, I mean an oven), where we get to cook in the BGE.[p]Anyway, the long and short of it is that today's breasts were some of the juiciest I have had in a very, very long time. [p]Enjoy![p]--sdb
  • Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. Not sure why mine came out kinda dry...