Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT:Help Grandulated brown sugar

Fla Egger
Fla Egger Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to make DR. BBQ'S big time bbq rub and can't find any granulated brown sugar is there any substitute?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    I am almost positive he means just "brown sugar" like they sell at the grocery store.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Warthog
    Warthog Posts: 84
    If he is calling for granulated brown sugar, then that would be turbinado or raw sugar. I think you can find in most grocery stores. Look for plain brown packaging with "Sugar in the raw" on it.

Warthog
  • The recipe also calls for turbinado sugar and granulaled brown sugar.
  • The recipe also calls for turbinado sugar and granulaled brown sugar.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    copied from google search results. seems like brownulated is called for. news to me

Granulated brown sugar is a free flowing, drier form of the more familiar brown sugar. Both types are made from boiled-down sugar and molasses and are mixed in a centrifuge, but the granulated kind also undergoes a special heating and drying process. The result: nonsticky crystals that are similar in texture to white sugar. They are easy to measure and pour and do not lump or harden when stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry cupboard or in the refrigerator.
    Do not substitute granulated brown sugar for regular brown sugar in recipes. Because it has a lower moisture content, baked goods will be dry and their taste off. Instead, try sprinkling it on top of cookie dough or hot cereals.

If you like the taste of molasses, you might also use granulated brown sugar instead of white sugar to sweeten coffee and tea.

Q. What is Domino® Brownulated® Light Brown Sugar?
    A. Domino® Brownulated® Light Brown Sugar is a granulated, free-flowing sugar with a medium molasses flavor. Brownulated® Sugar is pourable and doesn't lump, cake or harden. Brownulated® Sugar is made from brown sugar and cane caramel color and can be used in equivalent cup measurements as regular brown sugar, but due to moisture content will produce differences in texture as compared to recipes made with regular brown sugar.
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    I have bought granulated brown sugar in our local grocery store before., probably to make Dr. BBQ's rub. As bill says, it is free flowing.
    Bob
  • bill, you are quick on the draw...news to me too.

Fla Egger I think I used regular brown sugar when I made his rub and it worked well. The good doctor hang out here, but I think usually on the old forum. you may want to ping him there.

here's the link about brownulated brown sugar.

Granulated Brown Sugar

David
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    bobbyb wrote:
    I have bought granulated brown sugar in our local grocery store before., probably to make Dr. BBQ's rub. As bill says, it is free flowing.
    Bob

generally when i say it is free flowing i am referring to adult beverages and not brown sugar. however, my blood alcohol monitor is reading dangerously low for this time friday eevening and i need to check the egg. brb
  • Nature Boy
    Hmmm. Maybe Ray will chime in here. I figure if he said "brownulated" then he would mean the free flowing kind. "Granulated" brown sugar is processed granulated sugar (the most common sugar we use in the U.S.) with molasses added. It is not free flowing, but still can work well in a rub. And it's available everywhere.

Turbinado and Demarera are evaporated cane juice (not processed). Not granulated.

Fla egger asked about grandulated....and I assume he meant granulated. Did he mean drbbq specified brownulated?

Dang. I'm confused!
    Okay to be confused on Friday though....right?
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Hey FE
    He did not say "brownulated" right?
    If he said granulated, he meant the regular stuff you can find anywhere. Kinda sticky from the molasses. It's just regular sugar plus molasses.

Turbinado is raw sugar. Not granulated, but basically evaporated cane juice.

Happy friday!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • I looked in Ray's (big-time bbq cookbook) book and the recipe called for "granulated brown sugar". I think this brownulated stuff is Domino's version of a granulated brown sugar which sounds like regular ol' brown sugar sans moisture. I don't think I'd make a special to the store to buy some if I had brown sugar in the pantry.

Anyway not only is it 5 o' clock somewhere it's past past 5 here and I am off to see Mr. Bud Weiser.
  • Sorry, misspelled the word granulated - according to Dr. BBG'S recipe it calls for granulated brown sugar.
  • Yeah, that's the stuff. It's just drier than regular brown sugar and keeps things from clumping up. It's pretty nice stuff and is usually in a canister. You can sub brown sugar without much problem.

I don't know what Nature Boy is smoking today but I want some.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Fla Egger,
    I made one of his rubs last weekend and used regular brown sugar and the turbinado put it on a 9.5 lb prim rib and it was very very good.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer