Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Meatloaf!!

Options
Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm tring a meatloaf tonight on the EGG. Need some suggestions regarding dome temp, internal temp for doneness. I'll put the mix in a metal pan. Can that be put on direct or should I use a few fire bricks, etc.?? Thanks for the help. From snowy Maine...not spring yet!

Comments

• Doug,[p]If you are cooking on a metal pan, you are cooking indirect in my way of thinking. If you are using sausage in your mix, I think I would get the internal to at least 165 degrees.
    This meat can be cooked from about 225 to 375 degrees. If you want a good smoke flavor, cook low at about 225-250 degrees. I like to do them on a perforated pizza pan and catch the drippings in another pan. I don't use fire bricks but I am sure some other folks will answer your question.[p]Old Dave

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Doug,[p] Go for 160 on the internal temperature to make sure there isn't any pinkness left in the center (depending on the final temperature you end up cooking at, you might want to pull the loaf slightly before you get to 160 as the internal temperature will continue to rise while the loaf rests). I've done several loaves, but I normally don't use a loaf pan. I like to go free form and like Old Dave, I cook indirect (firebricks) and use a perforated pan (or fish grid) over a drip pan. That way, smoke can get to all the surfaces to flavor the meat, plus the loaf doesn't seem to stew in its own grease this way (does end up slightly drier, though). I usually start off for about an hour over smoke at about 225*, then raise the temp to 350 to finish the cooking. I use the standard meatloaf mix or a mix of 1/2 beef, 1/4 pork, 1/4 veal. Then I add whatever dairy/egg/bread crumb stuff I feel like. I put a glaze over the last one I did and then wrapped it in bacon before cooking. Tasted good, but I think I lost out on a little of the smoky flavor I was looking for. Still, it was better than anything I've made in the oven![p]Oh, and to answer your question, since you're going to use a metal pan (I'm assuming a loaf pan), I'd caution against cooking direct as the bottom of the loaf might get a bit burnt. [p]MikeO
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MxMeatloaf02032000.jpg
    <p />Doug, one of my favorites is M<exican Meatloaf - check out the link below for pictures, times - recipe is in recipe section.

[ul][li]Meatloaf[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Options
    I appears that the earlier post didn't get totally posted - check out the link but the temp (indirect setup) is 375 to an internal temp of 160 degrees - About 1.5 hours.
  • SpiceCooks
    Options
    Gfw,
    And I thought you were not a meatloaf man. Look at what u have turned into Gordon!

• Gfw
    Options
    SpiceCooks, since January we have had Mexican Meatloaf 3 times - absolutely love it - any leftovers make a great snack the next day. Next time I'm going to make 4 loaves - cook 1 and freeze the other 3. Thanks for sharing a great recipe.

• SpiceCooks
    Options
    Gfw,
    And to think you were not even a meatloaf kind of guy! Glad you joined the crowd Gordon!