Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to smoke some ribs but don't have a plate setter or fire bricks so how can i smoke them for 3 to 4 hours without getting them burned?

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Help,
    Roll them up (Meat side out) and secure with about six skewers. Stand them up directly on the grill. Consider smoking for 5 hours at 225-250. Make sure that you pull them membrane off of the back[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Unknown
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, I have a V-Rack, If i was to use that on top of a grill extender would that be somking at 225* or could they still burn?

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Help,
    I agree with RhumAndJerk, however I have done them direct without rolling, at the same 225° to 250° just making sure to flip every 30 minutes or so...You should have no problems either way you choose..HTH[p]Wess

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    help,
    Depending on the type of V-Rack, you could invert it and use it as a rib rack.
    If that does not work, then follow Wess's suggestion. Give Direct a try and skip the foil. On the other hand, a V-rack over a foil pan does qualify as indirect.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Help,[p]I agree with the comments so far. I've been doing my irbs direct the past several times I've done ribs, and would add the following. First, I recommend you use all fresh lump or at least lump which has not been dripped on during a prior cook. For example, I used some of the same lump on direct ribs two weekends in a row. The second weekend I had lots of flareup problems resulting from the crud that landed on the lump during the first weekend's cook.[p]Second, I try to fill the Egg with a little less lump during direct rib cooks than I do with other direct cooks. The reason for this is simply to keep a little greater distance between coals and food (albeit only a few more inches) again to try and minimize flareups problems.[p]Also, I'd err on the side of low temps when starting just to make sure you don't get the temp too high. With direct ribs, you have a little smaller margin for error and higher temps can hurt you quicker than with an indirect setup. I don't mean to conflict with food safety advice here as that is obviously of the utmost importance. What I usually do is light a very small fire then throw the food on when the Egg is around 150 and then just be very careful to take it up to the 225 level over the next half hour or so.[p]Finally, if you're not using a rack, be aware of any hot spots and flip and arrange accordingly. If one side looks more charred than another, flip/arrange it away from the hot parts of the grill.[p]Direct ribs are great on the Egg. As Mr. Jobu and I discussed the other day, it all depends on if you want to get up to go to the grill every 30-45 minutes to flip. Lately, I've been wanting to get more involved plus I like the charcoal taste of direct ribs so I've been doing them this way.[p]Good luck,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]"irbs" should be "ribs." Also, by charcoal taste, I don't mean the ribs taste like charcoal. What I mean is that I sometimes think that the lump/wood imparts a more powerful smokey taste during direct cooking than it does with indirect.[p]Proof reading is a good thing,
    Cornfed

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Cornfed,
    The Wimer family knows how to do direct ribs like nobody's business! Maybe Jim or one of the boys can weigh in with some advise here....
    Qfan